importing responses using append | XM Community

importing responses using append

• 15 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Dear community,

have collected data using a graphic slider question (Q1), but for the sake of improved data analysis and user interaction, I need to switch this to a standard slider question (Q2).

The direct approach would be to simply change the question type within Qualtrics, but I understand that doing so would result in losing the already collected data for Q1. In an ideal world, I would create the new question (Q2) and then do a simple integration of Q1's data with Q2 by appending the old data (form Q1) to the new question format in Q2. This process seems straightforward in Excel, where it's a matter of copying and pasting data from one column to another. However, I'm unsure how, or even if, this can be replicated within the Qualtrics platform.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation or know if Qualtrics offers a functionality that could facilitate this data migration without compromising the integrity of the collected responses?

Thanks.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +27

We can use Coalesce Variable to create a derived column which will automatically store the data from both columns. And use this derived column for further analysis.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi @AL_2022 ,

You could start by exploring a couple of options under Data & Analysis.

Custom field creation has few different ways in which you can create a new field from Q1 and Q2. Look at Formula Variable Creation or Combining Fields (Concatenating or Coalescing Variables).

If all else fails, you could look into Response Editing. Here you would put Q1 and Q2 side by side in your data table, and manually update one question based on the response to the other. The catch is that it works best with a smaller number of responses to edit; the more Q1 responses that you need to transfer to Q2, the more tedious it becomes.

Badge +2

Hi Shashi and Mathew,

Firstly, thank you very much for your quick responses! I will try both suggestions . Matthew’s  suggestion is really straight forward but I have around 2000 observations . Unfortunately copying and pasting like it is done in Excel is not possible (I guess) in qualtrics .

I have looked into the Custom Field option. The problem is that Q1 is being used in my dashboard and also as a filter in my dashboard. And I want Q2 to replace Q1 in the survey and stack up previous responses gathered in Q1 in the same column as Q2. 

Hope this all makes sense. I am used to Stata which allows this type of data manipulations (merging and appending ) relatively easily. 

thanks 

Leave a Reply