Individualized Links Embedded in a Survey | XM Community
Question

Individualized Links Embedded in a Survey

• 14 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hello! I am creating a survey and in one block of the survey I need to include a link that will take participants to another website where they will complete a questionnaire. However, in order to retrieve the data later, each participant needs an individualized link so that it can be located within the system. How do I make it so that each participant is randomly assigned a link, is not able to view other links, and no links are repeated?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m not aware of a way to dynamically create personal links, but you can append URL embedded data fields using piped in data from current survey (e.g. “?email=${m://Email1}&Field1=${e://Field/Field1}), this way you will have all the identifying information you need in the second survey.

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

@SSandlin I can interpret your question a few different ways, so not sure I understand fully.  However suggest looking up personal links (link below), this could be useful if you need to embed secondary survey links within the first survey (if that is what your trying to do).  If the website they are going to, isn’t another survey but just a website to review.  You can also run an email distributed survey which will provide each user an individual link & participants can go back to the email to go back to original survey to finish it, as long as your settings allow for this.

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/distributions-module/email-distribution/personal-links/#Introduction

Badge +1

@ScottG Thanks for your reply! I am adding some more details below to help clarify. I see how my post and question was confusing.

I will be creating this study in Qualtrics, but running this study in Prolific. The links are already created and available to me, but I am trying to figure out how to include them into my survey.

The links that I want to include in my Qualtrics survey will transfer each participant to a website (let’s call the website “Z”) where they will complete another survey. The owner of “Z” is allowing me to use “Z” to administer their survey to my participants. The “Z” survey has to stay in their website because it uses complex branching logic and has approximately 300 possible questions. It would be too cumbersome to make in Qualtrics, which is why we are using individualized links to transfer my participants to “Z” to complete their questionnaire. 

Once completed, “Z” will hold the responses for each of my participants - that are only accessible/recognizable to me through individualized links that I need to put in my Qualtrics. This is because “Z” is open-access to the public and holds responses for everyone else who uses it - which is why I have to use individualized links, because I can only distinguish my participants’ data by those survey links. This helps me to preserve the privacy of my participants and not confuse it with other people who use “Z,” because I will later need to pair my participants’ responses in “Z” to their responses to other measures in my Qualtrics survey.

In sum, I need a way to include multiple individualized survey links to “Z” in my Qualtrics study, so that no participants gets the same link as someone else (because it would override their data). Is there a way to include multiple links (perhaps as different “questions” in my Qualtrics survey), but make it so that each participant only sees/can use one link, and no one link is repeated across participants?

I hope this makes more sense. Thank you!

Badge +1

@InessaG, Thank you for your reply! I am not sure that I understand what you mean. Can you explain that to me further? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

If the owner of the Z survey can create individual survey links that are unique for each participant, you can upload those links as embedded data in your email list, then pipe it into your Qualtrics survey. The participants will see only the link associated with their contact record.

Leave a Reply