Is it possible to recode values after collecting survey responses? | XM Community

Is it possible to recode values after collecting survey responses?

• 11 October 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

I have collected over 200 responses for a study that involves multiple questionnaires and need to begin scoring the questionnaires. I've imported the data to SPSS and noticed that the answers to each question are associated with a number set by Qualtrics (ex: "yes" is 1, "no" is 2). Some questions in my survey need to be scored differently (for example, for one question the response "always" might add 5 points, but for another the response "always" might only add 1 point).
Is there a way I can recode the numbers associated with answer choices after I have collected responses? I did some research on recoding but Qualtrics gives a warning at the beginning of the article that says "Recode values stop updating to reflect the new answer choice order once you start collecting responses (or if you copy a survey that has collected responses). Please note that these answer values may need to be changed manually."
Is there a way to work around this? I just want to make sure I have the correct numerical values associated with the correct answer choices for each question. I'd rather not have to manually change all the values in SPSS. Thanks!

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hi lindseygibb,
I don't believe there is a way around this. Once a response is recorded, that is it as far as I've seen.
SPSS supports Python though, no? I haven't used it in years but you may be able to write a script that will recode the appropriate values for you.
Either that or you could load the data into Excel and go through column by column, using Find & Replace to recode each question correctly.
I hope that helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/50699#Comment_50699Can the recode value be part of the export to Excel?

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello again from a cloudy Sweden!
Had to test it since I didn't know :)
I created a simple multi-select question and recoded the values of the three options as 10, 20 and 30.
Submitted a couple of preview examples and exported them as SPSS and chose Corresponding Data. That made the recoded values appear in the export rather than the choice text.
Perhaps you can apply tweaks to these values to align with what you want to accomplish and then Import it back to Qualtrics, overwriting what you have in there now.
I need to run so I can't test the Import part. But perhaps a partial solution at least?

All the best
-Mattias

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

lindseygibb ,
Yes, you can change recode values then download and the new recode values will be included in the download.

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/50705#Comment_50705Will the new values impact the already submitted responses?

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/50708#Comment_50708All responses will be downloaded with the new recode values.

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/50709#Comment_50709That's very nice functionality :)

Badge

Thank you so much for your help everyone! I think this solved my issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Since this thread had mixed responses, I tested it in a new survey and can confirm, if you recode values after the fact, the existing and new responses will both be correctly coded with your new recode values.
I tested this by creating a survey with an effectiveness question and reversing the order of the options so most effective = 1 and least effective = 5. I submitted several test responses and added a gauge to my results report. Then, I recoded the opposite way (most effective = 5 and least effective = 1). When I reloaded my results report, I saw the gauge update accordingly. Then I submitted more test responses and they came through as expected.

Leave a Reply