Populating a Custom Field from Open End Text | XM Community
Skip to main content

Is there a way to populate a custom field from open end text?  I'd like to sort respondents who wrote in a specific word and tag them as "Yes" while respondents who did not use that word are tagged "No".  I’d also like to tag a collection of Zip Codes (entered by each respondent) into 1 of 8 “Regions”.  Is this the same type of process?  I know how to add a custom field, but I can’t figure out how to populate the field automatically.  Thanks for your help!

Hello @Melissa_J,

First about ‘Open Text Question’, it cannot be done automatically. You will need to add an embedded variable and map the specific words. You can then display this embedded variable in the survey if needed. Refer to this link for more information: Link

For tagging zip codes, you can use custom fields. In your case, I suggest using the ‘Bucketing’ file type. For more details, please refer to this link.

Let me know if this helps.

Hello @Melissa_J,

First about ‘Open Text Question’, it cannot be done automatically. You will need to add an embedded variable and map the specific words. You can then display this embedded variable in the survey if needed. Refer to this link for more information: Link

For tagging zip codes, you can use custom fields. In your case, I suggest using the ‘Bucketing’ file type. For more details, please refer to this link.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks for your help.  I had to use manual entry for both, but the links you sent were helpful.  For the zip codes, I ended up creating filters on the Data & Analysis tab and then added the tags in bulk for each region.  While not automatic like I’d hoped, it’s still pretty efficient.  

Thanks!

Leave a Reply