Re: Retake Survey Link leading to multiple retake responses | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello,

I have a survey with a 4-hour response recording setting. I'm facing issues with retake links, leading to multiple responses from participants. I have three questions:

1. Why do multiple responses occur when participants open retake links multiple times?
  2. Does the 4-hour setting also apply to retake response links?
  3. How can I ensure only the most recent response is saved to prevent duplicates?

Hello,

I have a survey with a 4-hour response recording setting. I'm facing issues with retake links, leading to multiple responses from participants. I have three questions:

1. Why do multiple responses occur when participants open retake links multiple times?
  2. Does the 4-hour setting also apply to retake response links?
  3. How can I ensure only the most recent response is saved to prevent duplicates?

@Mannila Your retake link might be retake as new respose. There’s option in the retake link that let the retake response replace the original response with query string &Q_R_DEL=1. See more: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/data-and-analysis-module/retake-survey-link/#BuildingARetakeLink

@dxconnamnguyen 

I've attached a screenshot below. I use the "Retake Response" link, not the "Retake as New Response." The link generated by "Retake Response" already includes the query string &Q_R_DEL=1 at the end.

Do you think opening different sessions of this retake link simultaneously, i.e., on a phone, then a computer, and in different locations, could cause any issues?

Furthermore, it's worth mentioning that within the screenshot, there's a variable labeled "WorkerUniqueID." This variable essentially corresponds to the response ID of survey #1. Upon completing survey #1, participants are redirected to survey #2, which includes the embedded response ID of survey #1, the one displayed in the screenshot, and this second survey generates its own unique "Response ID." As you can observe, for the same participant, using the "Retake Response" resulted in three different response IDs.

@dxconnamnguyen

I've attached a screenshot below. I use the "Retake Response" link, not the "Retake as New Response." The link generated by "Retake Response" already includes the query string &Q_R_DEL=1 at the end.

Do you think opening different sessions of this retake link simultaneously, i.e., on a phone, then a computer, and in different locations, could cause any issues?

Furthermore, it's worth mentioning that within the screenshot, there's a variable labeled "WorkerUniqueID." This variable essentially corresponds to the response ID of survey #1. Upon completing survey #1, participants are redirected to survey #2, which includes the embedded response ID of survey #1, the one displayed in the screenshot, and this second survey generates its own unique "Response ID." As you can observe, for the same participant, using the "Retake Response" resulted in three different response IDs.

@Mannila The retake link is a completely new survey session with preselected answer of the original one, the Q_R_DEL will delete the original one. So opening different sessions will cause additional multiple response so it’s crucial to send the retake to that exact respondent only and using some method to prevent multiple submission.

All of your embedded data will stay untouched, so don’t worry.

@dxconnamnguyen Thank you for the clarification. We didn't choose the "Prevent multiple submissions" option in our survey settings in order to allow people to use the same system to take our workplace-related survey. Upon reflection, we may reconsider this decision moving forward. I will need to discuss it with our research team. In any case, I now understand that multiple sessions were responsible for generating multiple responses from the same person.

Leave a Reply