Add a "Don't Know" option below matrix Likert scale | XM Community
Solved

Add a "Don't Know" option below matrix Likert scale

• 15 March 2019
  • 5 replies

My survey asks respondents to rate their opinion on a Likert scale, 1-11. I would like to give respondents to option of "Don't Know" or "Refuse" within that question, below the Likert scale, rather than adding another 2 scale points for these options. I am required to have an 11 point scale, which can get tough to read on tablets if it's 13 points including the "Don't Know" or "Refuse." Thank you.
icon

Best answer by LibertyW 16 March 2019, 00:39

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
you could also just add a question, hiding the question text, and add the custom certification so it accepts an answer in either question like so... !
Thank you! If you don't mind, I have a couple questions: First, how did you create that display so that the "not likely at all" and "extremely likely" sit on top of the scale nicely like that? Mine looks like:

!

Also, by custom certification do you mean a custom validation that would join the two questions?
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
@ForrestW - 1. I used the Qualtrics Net Promoter question as just an example, but you can add the words as labels if desired. (*Note: the reason I think your numbers are sitting so high is because of the words (Don't Know/Not Applicable)) 2. and yes by custom certification I do mean validation. Basically they either select an answer in the scale OR they select "Don't know" OR they select "Not Applicable" to continue. (*Note: this validation is added to the second question and the "Next" button is removed for the first question) LMK if you need any clarification.
Thanks so much for your help! Do you know if there is a way to select either a response from the first question (likert scale) or the second (don't know/not applicable) without having to press a continue button below to advance? We have a number of questions per page as the survey is long so it would be best to not have to continue after each question. Basically, they can select a scale point OR a don't know/not applicable and then scroll down to the next question. Thanks!
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
There certainly is. You can continue to add questions into the block before or after the Likert question. Adding the custom validation will ensure they either select from the Likert scale or "Don't Know". However, me personally would add some additional instructions to the question text, like so..."Question Text. (if you are unsure or this question does not apply to you, please select "Don't Know" or "Not Applicable") - Custom validation will throw an error message if they try to skip over the questions.

Leave a Reply