Adding email task/action/trigger to distribute 2nd survey AFTER first survey has started | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi everyone,
My research project will involve a longitudinal study (3 rounds of surveys) separated by at least 6 months each. The first survey has been created, and we are hoping to publish/distribute it online very soon. However, I have not yet created/finalized surveys 2 and 3.
Do I need to have these additional surveys created before I send out my first survey, so that I can setup a timed email trigger (to send the next invite ~6 mo after completing the first)?
OR, can this be done retrospectively? That is, after people have started to provide responses to survey 1, can I add (post-hoc) an email trigger that sends out a link to survey 2 six months later? Will that trigger only apply to new respondents? Or will the task/trigger/action also apply to the respondents who have already completed survey 1?
Thanks in advance!

Hi TroyJCross,
Sorry to say that I don't believe this can be done retroactively. If you set up a Trigger after a survey has already begun collecting responses, the Trigger will only apply to those responses that are submitted from the point in time at which the survey was republished with the Trigger.

Agreed with MatthewM keep your survey 2 and 3 ready (or you can also edit them before scheduled distribution i.e within 6 months ) and schedule them in survey one.

OK thank you for that information!
Is one possible solution to create a "dummy" survey 2 for now (which is blank), and work on creating it as participants are completing survey 1. So long as Survey 2 is ready to go by the first scheduled distribution date (i.e., 6 months later), then I can at least have the email trigger set up and ready to go. I would then do the same process for survey 2 (i.e., create a dummy round 3 survey with an email trigger).
If possible, that would give me time to prepare the next couple of rounds of surveys without needing to have them finalized just yet...have I understood things correctly?

Yes, It may sound obvious but make sure you work on the same survey (survey 2 as that link is already scheduled )for six months

So be careful that I am actually working on the correct survey (Survey 2) that I linked to the email trigger in Survey 1? OK I think I got it, thanks for your help!

Leave a Reply