How to average matrix questions responses across questions and sub-choices? | XM Community
Solved

How to average matrix questions responses across questions and sub-choices?

• 24 April 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8
_Caveat: I know that there are better ways to build out this survey, but unfortunately I'm in charge of analyzing the survey results, not editing the survey - the survey has already been created, distributed, and has about 200 responses._

I need to average matrix questions. For example, look at this survey

What I need is: A bar patron's overall satisfaction per question/category (averaging forks, spoons, and knives for silverware; averaging plates/bowls for tableware; averaging the three types of glassware). Then, a bar patron's overall satisfaction - averaging literally all of it. Then, both of the above for restaurant patrons. Then, both of the first two for all patrons.

My goal for that example survey is this:
* "Bar patrons have an average satisfaction of 3.5/5 for silverware, 1.5/5 for tableware, and 4/5 for glassware. They have an overall satisfaction with the restaurant of 3/5."
* "Dining room patrons have an average satisfaction of 3/5 for silverware, 5/5 for tableware, and 3/5 for glassware. They have an overall satisfaction with the restaurant of 3.7/5."
* "Overall, the total satisfaction of the restaurant is 3.2/5 for silverware, 3.25/5 for tableware, and 3.75/5 for glassware."
* "The overall entire satisfaction of everyone with all aspects of the restaurant is 3.3/5"

I know how to get satisfaction on a single item using crosstabs - for example, just forks. But combining the different parts of the question or all questions - do you know? I think I can bucket together bar and restaurant patron, but I don't know how to combine the matrix questions.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!
icon

Best answer by KendraR 8 May 2019, 04:16

View original

5 replies

Badge +1
Do you have to use Qualtrics data analysis? You could do this in R (or any other package) quite easily.
Userlevel 1
Badge +8
Thanks for your reply!

If there's a built-in Qualtrics solution, it'd be best - that way I can show the rest of the team how to do it themselves in the future and none of them are technical at all. Do you think there is a way in Qualtrics?

Otherwise, I don't know R (I installed R Studio and R Shiny last week but only opened the demo for Shiny). Do you happen to have any examples to point to that I could try to copy? I know basic Python, and R is probably similar... R Shiny would be cool because then it'd be on a website with filters they could look at, much like Tableau, and I could just hand it to them.

I was also thinking perhaps Tableau could do it, but I again don't know Tableau well enough.

A Qualtrics solution would be best but yeah anything at all helpful would be fantastic.
Badge +1
Unfortunately I do not have an example in R handy. Rebuilding my system after it was stolen.

Fortunately, there are plenty of books and tutorials on R and it is easy to learn. Once you have created your script, you can set it up for others with simple instructions. The thing to remember is to play with it and not be afraid of making mistakes.

Best of luck.
Userlevel 1
Badge +8
Overall, that's good advice for the future except with the time limit of getting this specific project's analysis done now versus learning a new programming language from scratch. I'll start trying to figure it out, sure, for lack of any other plan. Sorry about your system. Good luck!

Meanwhile, if anyone does know a way to do this in Qualtrics or has other ideas, please let me know. Thanks!
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Hey, @riceball! Just wanted to jump in here and say that you may be able to accomplish this with the scoring functionality. However, since the solution to what you are trying to achieve may vary based on how your survey is set up, I would recommend that you reach out to our Support Team so that they can take a look with you. 😃

Leave a Reply