How to change the internal question number to follow a manually attributed question number | XM Community
Skip to main content
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your help.

When I manually change a question number, the related internal number doesn't change accordingly, it stays the assigned number when the question was created: for example the first question I created remains QID1, the second is QID2, etc... even I change those numbers to Q5 or Q6 or whatever else.

I'd like to work with embedded data to calculate sums of numbers participants enter in matrix tables, and embedded data only works with those internal question number, not with the regular numbers. It would be so much easier if those numbers were aligned. If anyone has an alternative suggestion to achieve this I'm open too!

Thanks a lot!
Hi @Andrea_CHI,

You can use Autonumbering for this.

It is under

Tools > Auto-number Questions > Internal ID numbering.

!

Best,
Thank you for your response, jainshubham.

I’m sorry I must have explained myself poorly. This is not the issue. I tried that, but my issue is that when I change the number to a question manually, regardless of whether I do the auto-number the internal number doesn’t change, i.e. when use the Piped Text option to use a participant’s response to that question, the internal number which comes out is still the original ones. I'm not talking about the question number which can be seen in the survey, but I'm talking about the internal question number which comes up when using the piped text or embedded text.

Hope this makes more sense!
> @Andrea_CHI said:

> Thank you for your response, jainshubham.

>

> I’m sorry I must have explained myself poorly. This is not the issue. I tried that, but my issue is that when I change the number to a question manually, regardless of whether I do the auto-number the internal number doesn’t change, i.e. when use the Piped Text option to use a participant’s response to that question, the internal number which comes out is still the original ones. I'm not talking about the question number which can be seen in the survey, but I'm talking about the internal question number which comes up when using the piped text or embedded text.

>

> Hope this makes more sense!

>

It is assigned by the system, and we do not have access to change it.

I would also like the ability to change the internal id of questions based on manually entered numbers.

Any luck with this? =)

Leave a Reply