How to use randomizer and also display back button? | XM Community
Solved

How to use randomizer and also display back button?

• 6 March 2019
  • 3 replies

Hello, everyone. I am a masters student working on the online survey for my thesis. I have all of my materials ready to submit to IRB and then I read on my university web page that participants in online surveys must be able to go back and change their responses. I went to make this edit in my survey, and it did not work because I have randomization within my survey. I not only have randomization within blocks, but also between blocks, which is something I would like to keep in my survey to control for order effects. I already called support and essentially the only way to add a back button is to delete all of my randomizers.

There has to be another way/work around! How are we supposed to present a randomized survey that allows participants to change their responses? I do not want to sacrifice randomization for a back button, but I know I will not get passed through IRB if I do not allow this function. Please share your tricks with me!
icon

Best answer by TomG 12 March 2019, 20:59

View original

3 replies

Badge +6
@alissabv,

I don't think radomization is the reason. Because i tried to crate 4 blocks and applied randomization within blocks and accross blocks aswell, but back button was still there.

As per my understanding, Back button will not work if there are any element's between any two blocks. If you could share your survey it would be helpful to debug further
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
I can't say I truly understand why randomizers would prevent a back button, but if cross block randomization is your issue, then maybe try randomizing the responses in a hidden block and then use carry forward.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@alissabv,

An alternative approach would be to include a retake link on the thank you page. Respondents would be able to click on the link and go back through the survey with their previous answers already populated and change their answers.

Leave a Reply