Item randomisation across blocks | XM Community
Skip to main content
Hi,

I have a series of questionnaires with a total of 50 questions. I'll be displaying these in matrix format. I want to randomise the order of all 50 questions, but I don't want to put them in as one question - I'd like to have them as separate matrices for each questionnaire so that when I come to analyse the results, I don't have to separate them out into their respective surveys from one massive block of 50.

Am I right in thinking that if I have five questionnaires, and put each questionnaire into one matrix (with e.g. 10 statements in each - so they will still be grouped together in the data output) and select randomise all questions, it will only randomise the order of the questionnaires, not of the 50 statements?

Thanks.

Angela
Yes, randomization of questions is handled separately from randomization of statements within a matrix. You can choose to randomize either or both.
Hi Tom, Thanks for that, but it didn't really answer my question. Sorry if I didn't explain myself clearly. I want to randomise the order of EVERY statement, i.e. across matrix questions.

As I currently understand it, the only way to do this would be to put all 50 statements under 1 matrix (with repeated headers), randomise statement order, and then sort out which item goes with which questionnaire when I download my data?
> @Angco said:

> Hi Tom, Thanks for that, but it didn't really answer my question. Sorry if I didn't explain myself clearly. I want to randomise the order of EVERY statement, i.e. across matrix questions.

>

> As I currently understand it, the only way to do this would be to put all 50 statements under 1 matrix (with repeated headers), randomise statement order, and then sort out which item goes with which questionnaire when I download my data?

Correct, you can't randomize statements across questions. I don't quite understand what you are doing, but if you want them separate you could include all 50 in a question then use some advanced randomization and/or display logic to show 10, then copy the question for use in your different questionnaires.
Yes, will just have to sort by hand at the end. Thank you for responding.

Leave a Reply