Matrix Table Error | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello community!
I have come across a road block in a survey design that baffles me. I have a Matrix Table set up with two scale points and five statements. The five statements are mutually exclusive, meaning if a respondent selects one statement, the others cannot be selected. The respondent should select one statement for each scale point. The business user has requested that I made this question mandatory. The image below shows the design.
image.pngWhen the survey is launched, even if the respondent selects one statement for each scale point, an error is thrown saying no selection was made. The image below shows this -
image.png
I am at a loss as at this behavior. Any insight anyone can provide on this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Matrix Table Error 1.pngMatrix Table Error 2.png

In a matrix table, each statement is a question. So your Force response is throwing an error because, the 4 other statements are not answered. Selecting the carousel view will show you how its being operated in the back end.
To get the desired results, swap your scale and statements. Select single answer to make them mutually exclusive.

Thank you for your insights into this topic, ahmedA. I will take your idea back to my business user.

ahmedA I followed your advice, and it still doesn't seem to be working for me. Do you have any thoughts on what the issue could be this time?
This is the question image...
image.pngThis is the image of the survey...
image.pngThank you again for your help!

ahmedA sorry to keep tagging you! I figured out what I was doing wrong. Simply using the "Transpose Table" was not the right thing to do. I physically had to change the Statements to Scale Points (and vice-versa). I took your words quite literally, not realizing that's not what you mean. Thanks again for your help!!

Glad to hear that. I wold also recommend moving to single answer rather than multiple answer, as you intend to have your participant's only choose one option.

I changed that too 🙂

Leave a Reply