Responses not recorded for one survey. Is it because of go back button? | XM Community
Solved

Responses not recorded for one survey. Is it because of go back button?

• 11 June 2020
  • 3 replies

I sent a test survey to a couple of team mates for feedback. The survey flow is organized in to branches. First there is a default block that everyone sees and based on one of the questions in this block there are branches in the flow. Each branch has a table of contents. For one of the completed surveys, responses were not recorded except for the default block and the last block in the branch that this survey taker went through. This person told me that he tried to go back to see his previous responses. Now I am guessing he used go back button to go back but did not come back to these pages and instead used table of contents to skip to the last block in the branch. As I understood, when you click go back without clicking next the response on the page is not recorded. Does this happen with every page you go back to even if you had completed these pages before and had previously clicked next? Does the go back button work like delete responses from the record? Could there be any other reason that the responses were not recorded?

icon

Best answer by kpaddock 12 June 2020, 18:26

View original

3 replies

Badge +1

I did a quick test on a survey with three blocks, 1 question each. I answered all three questions, then pressed back to go back to the first question. Closed the tab, and looked under "Responses In Progress." Only question 1 had a response recorded, questions 2 and 3 read "This question was not displayed to the respondent."
My surveys won't let me close them out (it takes ages), and I would have to update later when the survey response actually times out, but it would seem going back to the first page stops pages 2 and 3 from being recorded. The responses aren't deleted, since you can go forward and still see them during the survey, but it seems they are just not recorded when the survey is complete because the user went back to blocks before those blocks.

Yes I think that's what the survey taker did. He went back using back button but then used table of contents to skip to the last block. So now I can't keep both table of contents and back button as people will tend to use them together for convenience but there is a risk of loosing responses.

Badge

Why does the back button not appear on my survey when I preview?….  I do have blocks in my survey … does this cause a problem?

Leave a Reply