Grab emailed individual survey link for user to take survey immediately | XM Community
Solved

Grab emailed individual survey link for user to take survey immediately

• 9 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hey folks, I set up a Qualtrics survey which gathers emails to distribute individual links to a second Qualtrics survey. Here’s a quick breakdown:

Survey 1: the user submits their email; I created a workflow that has a Distribute Survey task on it that generates the link to the second survey after adding the respondent to a list in a Directory.
Survey 2: the actual survey that people will take with an individual link

My PI is asking for a possible additional feature, and I wanted to see how feasible this was: Can we grab the individual survey link and give the user the ability to immediately hop to Survey 2 without having to open their email app first? (Or maybe hop to a hypothetical survey 1.5, which looks up the individual link, and then redirects to survey 2.) In this situation, the emailed survey link would be a backup option in case they have to stop halfway through and want to finish the survey later.

In case it helps: I think the main motivation for us using individual links is that the survey is long and we want to give people every opportunity to pick up progress if they stop partway through, even if they swap devices/browsers.

icon

Best answer by TomG 10 April 2024, 20:23

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi. Perhaps there is a way to engineer this with the help of a solution outside of Qualtrics, but I can’t think of any way to do this completely within Qualtrics using individual links. Those types of links are not created until a distribution containing the contact is set up, so there would not be any way to pull the link into survey 1.

You might look into setting up a batch of Personal Links to use in your survey 1.5 scenario, but I can’t think of an obvious way to call those into a survey either.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

@kaushal.addanki,

The second survey could be an anonymous survey with an auto-populated authenticator.  Then then links would be the anonymous link with the authenicator parameter (e.g. External Data Reference) appended.

Badge +1

@MatthewM Thanks for the reply! Yeah, that was my assumption as well

@TomG Great idea! Though, the one thing I’m worried about is whether a participant could get like 60% of the way through the survey, then switch to a different device (like perhaps switching from their phone to their desktop computer when they get home) and still have the survey pick up where they left off. I fear the anonymous-link authenticator method doesn’t save survey progress in the way that an individual link would. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

@MatthewM Thanks for the reply! Yeah, that was my assumption as well

@TomG Great idea! Though, the one thing I’m worried about is whether a participant could get like 60% of the way through the survey, then switch to a different device (like perhaps switching from their phone to their desktop computer when they get home) and still have the survey pick up where they left off. I fear the anonymous-link authenticator method doesn’t save survey progress in the way that an individual link would. 

The authenticator will allow respondents to pick up from where they left off if you set up your survey and authenticator options appropriately.

Badge +1

@TomG Ah, sounds good! I’ll look into that then!

Leave a Reply