Contact deletion automation? | XM Community
Solved

Contact deletion automation?

• 9 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi all
In order to comply with our organisational GDPR policy, we need to delete data after a certain time period. Is there a trigger within the Qualtrics Directory that we can set to delete contacts after a certain time frame?
For example 'delete all contacts that were added in 2018'?
Thanks
Tracey

icon

Best answer by TomG 16 June 2020, 15:10

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Possibly. The first step I suspect would be the need to add embedded data within your contacts that tracks the 'date added'. So adding an embedded data variable such as 'addedDate, 2018'.
Then within a contact trigger of a survey (or an XM Directory task if you have XM Directory subscription) you could check for the contacts with embedded data matching your year or timestamp or whatever you want to filter on, then update those contact records through the trigger/task. If you only have the contact trigger route then you would need to setup a scheduled task to create a survey response for the survey containing the contact trigger (a rather convoluted way to reach your goal).

Hi Patrick
Thanks so much for taking the time to give this one some consideration!
I think that sounds like a good suggestion on finding the correct records to delete.
Are you aware of an automated 'delete' function in the XM Directory? Or is that still a 'press the button' task?
Thanks
Tracey

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Traceyommk_ ,
You can use the API to automate this and you don't need any additional fields. First use Search Directory Contacts to find the contacts created before a specific date, then use Delete Directory Contact to delete them.

That's great! Thank you - I'll check this out.
Tracey

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/26784#Comment_26784TomG , is an API the only way to automate this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/27355#Comment_27355As far as I know.

Leave a Reply