"Exceeded the size limit of 20000 characters." – but in fact, I didn't | XM Community
Question

"Exceeded the size limit of 20000 characters." – but in fact, I didn't

• 30 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi,
I'm creating a large MC question with 2000+ choices for the purposes of later randomization (I want to hide the question later on with JS and pipe in displayed choices). After attempting 'Edit Multiple' & pasting the choices, I'm confronted with the above error message – that I exceeded 20,000 characters. This is simply not true – not only b/c they are settlement names, and far too many settlements have a name with <10 characters in the country where the survey is fielded, but also b/c I checked: it's around 19,000 characters. Making the list smaller (i.e. cutting out some ~100 choices) gives me 18,000 characters, but I still get the error message.
What is going on? Why clearly <20K char long MC choice list gives me the above error message? Does this has anything to do with the original format of the answers list? (i.e. whether I copy-paste the choices from a csv, a tab separated document, etc.) As I want to use piped text later on, drill down is not an option for me (then I would be confronted with the warning/error "This Drill Down question has many answers. You will not be able to base any logic off this question.") Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Ludrew ,
I'm not sure if this is something many users have run into, much less would know how to resolve. It seems to be more of an issue with the platform's back end so I would suggest contacting Qualtrics Support and hopefully the engineering team could look into it.
Good luck!

Leave a Reply