Checking numbers entered in form add to 100% | XM Community
Solved

Checking numbers entered in form add to 100%

• 7 April 2021
  • 2 replies

I really hope someone can help me as I have spent several hours scanning the Support Site for an answer without any luck. I have a question that asks participants to allocate a total amount of time they had spent on a compliance task, across different types of internal personnel (see image below). Participants are asked to enter numbers in the text box without a % sign.
I need to find a way of making sure the participants answers add up to exactly 100% before moving on to the next question, and giving them a customised message if this isn't the case. Any suggestions for achieving this need to be pretty exhaustive, as I'm a Qualtrics novice and not familiar with coding JavaScript.
Validation question.JPG

icon

Best answer by RaymondBurr 7 April 2021, 22:15

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +19

You might like to look at the Constant Sum question type - this has inbuilt functionality to automatically add together the numbers that are entered and you can specify the maximum value (and even show a running total as respondents enter values).
There's more information available here - https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/editing-questions/question-types-guide/specialty-questions/constant-sum/
Hope this helps!

Hey Ashleigh - just the advice I needed. Completely does what I wanted - thanks so much for the fast response. Cheers!

Leave a Reply