Interest survey gathering info on children - need help please | XM Community

Interest survey gathering info on children - need help please

• 19 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Hi everyone! I am making an interest survey that requires information on the couple’s children. I am looking to gather info on the child’s name, sex at birth, and birthday?.

So if I have a question that says “How many children do you have in this specific age?”. Then the parent choices a number 1-5.

If a parent chooses the 2, how do I get information on child 1 and child 2 to show if they select it and then for the other options? Would this be a loop & merge function? If so, I would I do that?

I am not sure how to do this, any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance!!

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

@extravagantsmile this is a great case for the Loop & Merge feature in Qualtrics.

In a separate block ask how many children the respondent has. Then in it’s own block, put all of the questions you want to ask about the children (e.g. name, sex at birth, date of birth, etc.). Clicking on the block and not a question in the block you will see the menu to the left changes and give you an option for Loop and Merge. You will check “Loop based off a question”. Then choose your number of children question, Numeric Response and max loops = 5. In the Field 2 loop and merge I recommend adding “Child 1”, “Child 2”, “Child 3”, “Child 4”, and “Child 5” so the respondent can know what loop they are on. 

Here’s what your survey will look like:

Block with the number of children question.

Then your Loop & Merge block with details on those children

The first question is piped text from your loop and merge fields. 

Here’s what you Loop and Merge settings look like:

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

@extravagantsmile I have a longer explanation that’s been held until moderators review it. For now, look at information on Loop & Merge.

Badge +2

@bstrahin thank you! I am still a little confused. Also, I have not seen your longer explanation. Is there a way you could private message me or find a way we could do Zoom?

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

There are two ways., Either you dupicate the block 5 times for 5 children and changed question ID of each question and add branch logic on survey flow to show block respective to number of children. In this way you can customize your block and can change questions,  answer options etc.

Another way is to use loop and merge on

one block. Refer below screenshots.

Create one question on separate block to check number of kids.

Set question properties as: on left panel

Then creat one new block containing questions regarding child information. And click on block 2 and then click on loop and merge from left panel.

Then add loop update loop and merge info like this.

It's a a auto functionality. So once you use above condition in that block. It will run loop iteration number of selection in block 1 question. E.g if you enter 2 at block 1 question. So block 2 question will appear twice sequentially.

Thanks!!

Badge +2

@ArunDubey thank you, especially for including photos! Which one do you think would be easier to do and would make most sense for this interest survey on the child’s info?

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

@extravagantsmile no problem, use loop and merge if you are asking same set of questions for each child.

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

@ArunDubey thank you for supplying this for @extravagantsmile. @extravagantsmile this is the first time I’ve ever gotten a system message that my response needed reviewed by moderators. Unfortunately I don’t have a copy of what I wrote and I don’t see it anywhere in my profile to send it to you. But everything I had written and taken pictures of is in @ArunDubey explanation above. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@bstrahin Apologies for the delay in your reply, it has been approved and the system criteria for needing review is also currently being edited so responses like this will not be delayed in the future. 🙂

Leave a Reply