Recode value | XM Community
Solved

Recode value

Badge +3

Hi all,

i have a list of 100+ plant species - each has been recoded as either a “0” or a “2” depending on their status.

If i conduct a survey using any of the “2” species it doesn’t matter which one i choose, it will always get uploaded as one specific plant species. That is, regardless of which “2” species i choose it will always get put into Data and Analysis as the same one “Ulex” in this case.

Equally if i choose a “0” species (any one of the 80 odd options) it will only ever show up as one species option: in this case “Acacia”

What is going on? Is recode messing with the selection?

icon

Best answer by TomG 2 May 2024, 14:17

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Yes, by recoding everything as 0 or 2, you are saying that all 0’s are the same thing and all 2’s are the same thing even though they are different choices. You should probably recode everything to 1 through n, then assign a status some other way (e.g., survey flow branch that set’s an embedded data field).

Badge +3

Thanks @TomG 

i know recode would treat it as the same; the branching relied on treating all “2” the same and all “0” the other way.

But, i didn’t expect it would change the actual selection in that box and choose one of them (i think the last in the list of each respective recode value) to populate the response.

To use the example in the Recode documentation:

“Very well, Moderately well, and Slightly well would all be 2, and would contribute the same amount to the calculation of an average”

It makes sense that they would contribute the same to the average, but it doesn’t make sense that they would all get changed to “slightly well”...but, that’s just me being grouchy.

Thanks again for the clarification/confirmation

Leave a Reply