Translation export looks funky | XM Community
Skip to main content

I am trying to utilize the translation export/import function for the first time.  Historically I received Word files from my translator and entered them manually.  I’m hoping to increase efficiency and also reduce the chance of human error.

I followed the instructions for exporting a txt file and how to open it properly in Excel.  However, the questions still have some coding and funky characters (angular down arrow) in the English text.  I’m concerned that if I send this to my translator, it will create more confusion than it’s worth.

<p>Do you work in any of the following industries?</p>

<p>In➘what year were you born?</p>

Does anyone know what is causing this and how to eliminate it?  I even went back to remove question formatting, but that did not help.

Thanks!

Hello Bridget, when you export the translations from Qualtrics, it is in the csv format, and when the file is opened these funky characters are added to it.

I would suggest using an online platform (google sheets, etc.) to view/edit these files.

Thank you for your response Tushar, but I think you misunderstood my question.  I’m simply exporting the English survey per the Qualtrics instructions to have it translated into multiple foreign languages.  If I use Excel (per their instructions), then I simply upload the file once the linguists have completed the translations and the entire survey is uploaded for each respective language.  This saves me hours of time cutting and pasting and eliminates possible human error of copying/pasting the wrong thing.

I followed the Qualtrics instructions and got the text you see in my original post.  

Can we try using a TSV format here, that usually helps in the case of these special characters getting added to my data files.

@BridgetMillar - The ➘ is caused by a line feed in the question’s html, and it doesn’t have any impact. I always do a ‘Find and Replace All’ ➘ with blank before sending it to translation for the reason you mentioned.

@TomG - I was thinking I could do that, but if you remove all the code such as <p> you don’t have any issues when you upload the file?

@TomG - I was thinking I could do that, but if you remove all the code such as <p> you don’t have any issues when you upload the file?

Don’t remove the html, only replace the ➘ symbol.  

Leave a Reply