Unwanted alteration of existing data set after changes to a question type | XM Community
Solved

Unwanted alteration of existing data set after changes to a question type

• 23 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello everyone,

My problem is as follows: I launched a survey but found out mid-survey that the screening criteria were too restrictive. I changed my screening question to something much less restrictive (previously it was a single selection Likert scale which screened out respondents who selected a choice; I changed it to a multiple selection list, and I excluded respondents who would include a certain item within their selection). 

I made the change directly in the impacted question. But the problem is that for respondents who had already answered that question, their responses were altered to align with the new answer type. Respondents who in the initial configuration had selected the first item appear as having ticked on the first box of the new question; those who had selected the second item appear as having ticked the second box and so on. What is odd is that for some respondents only the number “1” appears which doesn’t correspond to anything in the original response structure.

I really would like to recover the original responses of these respondents before I changed the question in my script. Is there a way to do it, or to change the data set?

I’ve been thinking of creating an embedded data field where to store this response for the impacted respondents but it cannot be created retroactively.

Any other ideas please?

Thank you,

icon

Best answer by Radam 24 November 2023, 23:32

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +31

In the survey’s versions, revert to the original.  This should give you your old data back.

To remove/change some of your screener choices you can use display logic on the individual answers so they never show (embedded data / recipient email = 1234), then you can add the new options without losing your original data.

Badge +1

Thanks for the suggestion, it works great.

Leave a Reply