Can you make Qualtrics assign a value to an empty choice in a likert scale? | XM Community
Solved

Can you make Qualtrics assign a value to an empty choice in a likert scale?

• 15 March 2019
  • 3 replies

I'm asking questions and I have a 7 point likert scale after each question.
I'm only labeling the first choice as not at all important, then the middle choice as neutral, and the last choice as extremely important. I'm doing that for aesthetic reasons and prefer to keep it that way.
The problem is that when I export the data, Qualtrics doesn't give a value to the points in the likert scale without a label.
Is there a way to tell qualtrics to map a specific choice to a number, so when it's exported it will show up?
I thought about labeling the choice with a transparent number through CSS, but maybe there's a better way?

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by bstrahin 15 March 2019, 13:44

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Data should appear even if you have added 7 scale points and not given label to few. Labels will not affect the variables and data. There should be data for each scale points.
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@STU you want to check your settings when you download. It sounds like you are downloading the Choice Text instead of the Numeric Value. You can change this in your Export Options. If the numeric values aren't what you expected that is something you would have to change for the next fielding using the Recode Values option in survey editor. You can't change this there after the fact and have it update your data.
Badge +4
Hi, @STU & @bstrahin! I just wanted to jump in here and mention that recode values can be changed retroactively. For more info, you can check out the Qtip on this support page or contact our Support Team!

Leave a Reply