Control Force response of a side by side question? | XM Community
Solved

Control Force response of a side by side question?

• 23 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi All,
I have a side-by-side question with various options and a single answer for each option. The last option is one with a text box entry.
My requirement is to have a 'force response' for this question. But the issue with force response is, the last option with the text box needs to be filled mandatorily by the user which is not required.
So, can I control the force response option for this question making it mandatory for the first 8 rows of answers and not mandatory for the last or 9th row?
Please refer to the screenshot attached for more clarity.
Requirement: 'Other Specify' with text box should not have a force response but all others above (AB - OP) should enforce a force response.
Please let me know if this can be done using JS or any other option.
Side by side sample.JPG

icon

Best answer by ahmedA 1 March 2021, 15:05

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

From the screenshot you have shared and SBS question is not the ideal choice. You might consider using a matrix question for this.
Also, rather than force response, you could look at custom validation, which only passes if all of the other answers have been selected.
You could make it simpler by using recode values and checking against those.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thank you for your response. It was really helpful.
I have changed the question type to Matrix question.
I'm new to Qualtrics and I'm still getting used to all the options and validations.
By custom validation, did you meant to add a separate question for which have a display logic, or is there a way to show the option - "Other (Specify)' dynamically when the 8 answers above it are completed by the user?
Also, can you provide more insight on Recode values and how it would help address my requirement?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Allowing Text Entry:
image.pngCustom Validation:
image.pngRecode Values:
image.png

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thank you so much :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

No problem.
Do make sure that you read the linked pages. They'll help you in the future.

Leave a Reply