How reliable is the GeoIP Estimation? | XM Community
Skip to main content
Hello everyone,

I have just run a pilot survey on MTurk using a link with a survey created with Qualtrics and I specifically asked on MTurk to have only participants from the US. When I look on Qualtrics at the data collected different locations appear (Honduras, the Philippines, India) and I do not know what the correct information is......

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,

Elena
In my experience, they are pretty accurate.

The go off of other internet service provider signals; so it is possible someone is in the US but routing through a ISP in Honduras to mask their location. That being said- that sort of behavior is uncommon for every day consumers. On a site like MTurk I very much suspect that you are looking and people automating survey responses with bots in order to receive the payment.

If you really want to pay for respondents, I'd suggest going with a Panel provider instead. They will do the vetting for you, and you only pay for the respondents that fit the criteria you have asked for. Qualtrics Research services can help you with this; but there are lots of other Panel Provider companies.

Leave a Reply