How to pull contact list custom fields into a survey as Embedded data | XM Community
Skip to main content
Hi community,

I have hit a bit of a snag in the survey building process. We are currently building multiple surveys for people to take over a period of time. Namely the same survey taken each day and another taken each week. At different touch points we will be tracking their progress and then reporting on it via a dashboard made in reports. As we are building it out one of the main road blocks we have hit is trying to pull any fields from contact list other than the basic, name, email, etc. Is there a way to do this? I haven't seen any documentation on it and I know someone a while ago asked something similar but it didn't seem there was a solution to the problem.

Essentially the information in the contact fields would be used as a database (profile) to pull from and incorporate into any survey that individual gets a personalised link to.

Iv'e attached screenshots below to illustrate what I mean. I pull contact list data in from my contact list but the fields remain empty and I can't pull anything existing from them.

!

!

!
So long as that panel has real people uploaded into it, and you are distributing to those folks with individual links or the email distribution in qualtrics... you are doing it right. That should get you the data your looking for.

However, note that method will only pull information that is associated with the panelists. So, in all likelihood, you are uploading that info with everyone when you invite them to the first survey.

I'm guessing you are looking for _other_ data, that which was reported to you via one of these daily or weekly surveys- correct?

If yes: You need to associate those survey answers back to the panelists. To do this, you're going to want to use contact list triggers:

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/contact-list-triggers/

This will allow you to take their answers from Survey 1 and 2 and put it on Survey 3 for them to interact with, or for you to track over time.
> @StevenMSS said:

>

> Iv'e attached screenshots below to illustrate what I mean. I pull contact list data in from my contact list but the fields remain empty and I can't pull anything existing from them.

>

> !

> !

> !

>

When you are testing this are you generating the personal links? If you just use an anonymous link or the survey preview then you would expect that you "can't pull anything existing from them." But if you are using the individual links that shouldn't be happening.

Also, if you will use the embedded data in reporting you will want to double check the embedded data options to make sure that it is a "Set" type so it will group like options together and give you frequencies for the option. See Qualtric's documentation: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/embedded-data/#EmbeddedDataOptions
@bstrahin and @kate Thank you for taking the time out to respond. I will investigate tomorrow (I’m in Australia) and let you know what worked. Both suggestions are great, I just need to be sure I’m doing it correctly so it works. I thought I was doing what you mentioned Kate, but the personal links may be the issue. I use triggers to push data into the user profiles currently and the data appears in the custom fields without an issue, it’s pulling it into another survey I haven’t quite figured out yet. I’m sure with both your suggestions something will work.

Leave a Reply