Keep some items in a fixed position when randomizing all items across multiple matrices in a block? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi, I'm trying to set up a 328-item questionnaire where all the items are in a random order, except 6 items that must be embedded within the randomized items at fixed positions. This is easily doable if I have all 328 items in a single matrix table, but this far surpasses the total character limit for the items. I also tried splitting the items across multiple matrices and then randomizing all items with block randomization, but this ignores the fixed positions I specified at the matrix-level for the non-randomized items and mixes them in with the other items instead. Is there a way to specify the position of some individual items when randomizing all items with block randomization? Or, is there a workaround for surpassing the total character limit for the items of a single matrix? I greatly appreciate the help!
-Scott

Hi PopMem, if you haven't already, I recommend checking out Advanced Question Randomization! This feature will let you randomize certain elements within the questionnaire while keeping other elements as fixed.
Concerning total character limit for matrix tables, there currently is a 20,000 character limit for matrix tables that is immutable. Therefore Advanced Question Randomization seems to be a best fit for what you're trying to achieve! 🙂
If you have any additional questions about setting this up, please don't hesitate to contact our Support Team!

Leave a Reply