What happens if I change the partial complete settings mid-field? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Let's suppose I have a survey set to record partial completions 2 weeks after the respondent's last activity. Respondent 123's last activity was 10 days ago.
Suppose I then change the settings to record partials after only 1 week, and publish the change.
What happens to R_123's data? Is it recorded immediately, or in 4 days?

Great Question.
As far as I know, all changes to the survey/form, including these, are not retroactively applied. In other words, if they've started the survey, they will live under the rules/settings/format/data that was in place when they started the survey.
I'm not 100% sure that will hold true for this specific instance though. I'll see if I can find anything on it, but I'm 85% sure.

That makes sense, thanks -- would be consistent with how other content changes work. I'm going to test using a dummy survey by changing the options from 24 hours to 4 hours, will post here tomorrow with the result from that.

Results of the test I ran: as mklubeck suspected, R_123's data will be recorded in 4 days, i.e. the setting that was in effect when they were interacting with the content will persist. Changing the setting will only affect new respondents who come in after the setting changed.

KevinTroy Thanks for the confirmation! I'll make a note of it in our knowledge database! It's always nice to know for sure what it will / won't do.

Leave a Reply