👻 Spooky Season | Badge of the Month | October 2023 | XM Community

👻 Spooky Season | Badge of the Month | October 2023

• 2 October 2023
  • 75 replies
👻 Spooky Season | Badge of the Month | October 2023
Badge +48

BADGE OF THE MONTH

Spooky Season | October 2023

During the first week of each month, we will post a new question, topic, or activity for you to connect with the community and earn a badge. All community members who join our team and contribute a thoughtful comment to this month’s discussion, between October 2 and October 31, will receive this badge worth 50 points by the end of the month. 

Task: Answer any of these questions...

• What’s your favorite spooky movie or TV show that you watched in 2023?
  • What’s your favorite spooky book that you read in 2023? 
  • What’s your favorite spooky activity that you’ve done / will do 2023?
  • What’s your favorite spooky song or podcast that you listened to in 2023?

It’s officially spooky season here in North America! Our team loves all things spooky and scary! Do you like a good scare? Maybe, you like to read Agatha Christie books and watch terrifying movies. Or, maybe you’re not into scary things, but you love a good pumpkin spice latte and pumpkin picking. We want to learn all about your favorite spooky movies, tv shows, books, songs, and activities that you have enjoyed in 2023!

This topic has been closed for comments

75 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

For activities I am looking forward to a Frenchie meet up. The dogs will be dressed in costumes this month. If I’m not lazy my brown one will be dressed up like a baked potato and my pied (white with black spots) will be dressed up like a cow… honestly she looks like one already so we might just need to add a Eat More Chicken sign to her :)

@bstrahin Oh goodness, please post pics of this! 🐶

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Love Spooky season for sure. My favorite activity is to decorate outside for the trick or treaters. I try and add something new every year. I added a creepy gnome that’s eyes light up this year. I also love trick or treating with the family. My daughter is loves Halloween too. This year I think she’s dressing up like Lydia Deetz from Beetlejuice.

I bet the Trick-Or-Treaters love this! 🎃

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi, sharing some of the Horror podcasts that i listen.

1. Kaali awaazein narrated by Mr. Amitabh Bachchan on Audible.
  2. Bhoot kaal narrated by Mr. Nilesh Mishra on Audible.
  3. Chuppe Saaye on Audible
  4. The other Stories on Spotify.
  5. Creepypasta jr on youtube (Technically not a podcasts but you can play them while driving)
  6. Darr and kya woh Sach tha on Headfone app.
  7. Zara Khauff se suno on Spotify

Great additions! Thank you for sharing! 🧡

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

I am not a “spooky” kind of person and shy away from scary movies and TV shows. I think the only thing I have from this year would be Pet Sematary by King. I’ve read a lot of King’s books but this one did creep me out. I also want to put a plug in for the book I mentioned for last year’s question, House of Leaves by Danielewski is unlike anything you have ever read (seriously, thumb through the book) and contains the scariest scene I ever read. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I enjoyed reading your posts! 

I will never forget being a middle schooler, and being invited to a party to watch “Nightmare On Elm Street.”  I literally called my mom and had her pick me up early, and I told her I couldn’t go to bed after midnight.  Well, fast forward a few decades, and I still will not watch Horror movies.  I like good old fashioned happy ghosts and pumpkins- and Charlie Brown.  I decorate my house, but stay on the festive side.  I don’t know why I am sucked into a movie as soon as I start to watch it!  

Userlevel 5
Badge +33

My favorite spooky movie I’ve watched this year is “I See You”. It’s really suspenseful; I’d definitely recommend it! I like watching scary stuff all year, but even more so around Halloween. I’m currently rewatching “The Haunting of Bly Manor” on Netflix. I love anything with ghosts!

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

PUMPKIN CARVING PRO TIP
Use canning jar lids to scrape/clean out your pumpkins.

If you don’t already have canning supplies, you can buy a box of lids (without the rings) specifically for your pumpkin carving.

I’ve tried regular spoons, pumpkin-cleaning drill attachments, and pumpkin carving kits’ special “scraping devices”. None compare to the canning jar lid - that crisp, metal edge in an extremely compact package lets you clean out pumpkins easier and better than anything I’ve ever tried.

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

I enjoyed reading your posts! 

I will never forget being a middle schooler, and being invited to a party to watch “Nightmare On Elm Street.”  I literally called my mom and had her pick me up early, and I told her I couldn’t go to bed after midnight.  Well, fast forward a few decades, and I still will not watch Horror movies.  I like good old fashioned happy ghosts and pumpkins- and Charlie Brown.  I decorate my house, but stay on the festive side.  I don’t know why I am sucked into a movie as soon as I start to watch it!  

Oh goodness! SAME! I had the exact same experience with that movie 😂 Watched it (way too young) at a friend’s house and it was too much for me 🙈

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

PUMPKIN CARVING PRO TIP
Use canning jar lids to scrape/clean out your pumpkins.

If you don’t already have canning supplies, you can buy a box of lids (without the rings) specifically for your pumpkin carving.

I’ve tried regular spoons, pumpkin-cleaning drill attachments, and pumpkin carving kits’ special “scraping devices”. None compare to the canning jar lid - that crisp, metal edge in an extremely compact package lets you clean out pumpkins easier and better than anything I’ve ever tried.

This is AMAZING! @TimR, you “win” the Community today 🎃

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

My favorite spooky movie I’ve watched this year is “I See You”. It’s really suspenseful; I’d definitely recommend it! I like watching scary stuff all year, but even more so around Halloween. I’m currently rewatching “The Haunting of Bly Manor” on Netflix. I love anything with ghosts!

I have heard “I See You” is good! Someone else recommended “The Fall of the House of Usher” on Netflix but I don’t know if it would be too scary for me 🤓

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I need to start by saying that it is very difficult to choose as I watch crime and spooky series/movies all year round! My favorites include psychological thrillers and crime stories/documentaries - I love solving mysteries and sometimes I feel like I missed my calling of not becoming a detective! Although being a Researcher and Analyst allows me to solve some puzzles and look for clues in data 🤗

A few titles I recommend watching that are not just scary but the majority of times terrifyingly shocking  (all available on Netflix):

1. Ratched - In 1947, Mildred Ratched begins working as a nurse at a leading psychiatric hospital. But beneath her stylish exterior lurks a growing darkness.
  2. Midnight Mass - An isolated island community experiences miraculous events - and frightening omens - after the arrival of a charismatic, mysterious young priest.
  3. MindHunter - In the late 1970s, two FBI agents broaden the realm of criminal science by investigating the psychology behind murder and end up getting too close to real-life monsters.
  4. Dahmer - The story of a cannibalistic serial killer named Jeffrey Dahmer, a.k.a. the Milwaukee Monster.
  5. The Stranger - Based on Harlan Coben's novel of the same name. Follows the lives of suburban families whose secrets and lies are made public by the appearance of a stranger.
  6. Behind Her Eyes - It follows Louise, a single mum with a son and a part-time job in a psychiatrist's office. She begins an affair with her boss and strikes up an unlikely friendship with his wife.

Happy watching ! 🎃

Dominica 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

My favorite spooky TV show i’ve watched this year has to be “Dear child”.

"Dear Child" is a prime example of binge-worthy television. If you're a fan of psychological thrillers that leave you with an eerie feeling long after the credits roll, this is a must-watch.

The chilling moments and unexpected twists keep you on the edge of your seat, constantly guessing what will happen next. The characters are complex, and their secrets only add to the overall sense of mystery.

Just be prepared to lose sleep because once you start, you won't be able to stop.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I’m personally not the biggest fan of spooky movies because I tend to scare very easily… 😅 But one of my favorite “scary” movies that I’ve watched is The Others! I really enjoyed the plot and I think it does a good job of not falling into the jump scare movie stereotype. Plus Nicole Kidman is the main character! 👻

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

The best spooky web series I have ever watched is Stranger Things on Netflix. 👻

Userlevel 5
Badge +36

Any Stephen King movie...Pet Sematary, It, The Shining, Cujo.

Badge +48

@dobra021, @pamelalbeck, @qualtrics_nerd, @JessicaGregory_CHNw, @jmborzick I love Stephen King! I want to watch the Boogeyman soon!

Badge +48

@TusharDalwani I can’t wait for the final season of Stranger Things!

Badge +48

@SteveBelgraver Have you seen the newest exorcist movie? I am really excited to go see it in theaters!

Badge +48

@DominicaE you have great taste in tv! I loved Ratched, Midnight Mass, Mindhunter, and Dahmer!! I am going to try the other two from your list next :)

Badge +1

I love all of Mike Flanagan’s series on Netflix. I just binged all of The Fall of the House of Usher. It’s so great! 

My favorite book to read during spooky season is House of Leaves. But it’s so spooky, I can’t read it all in one sitting! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@DominicaE you have great taste in tv! I loved Ratched, Midnight Mass, Mindhunter, and Dahmer!! I am going to try the other two from your list next :)

Hi Amara, 

in this case, you have a great taste in tv as well! Yes, definitely check those out and I can guarantee moments of surprise!

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Wednesday it is!

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

As a musician, I would not be representing the classical music community well if I did not share this Bach piece before October closes out! 🧡🎃👻

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

I need to start by saying that it is very difficult to choose as I watch crime and spooky series/movies all year round! My favorites include psychological thrillers and crime stories/documentaries - I love solving mysteries and sometimes I feel like I missed my calling of not becoming a detective! Although being a Researcher and Analyst allows me to solve some puzzles and look for clues in data 🤗

A few titles I recommend watching that are not just scary but the majority of times terrifyingly shocking  (all available on Netflix):

1. Ratched - In 1947, Mildred Ratched begins working as a nurse at a leading psychiatric hospital. But beneath her stylish exterior lurks a growing darkness.
  2. Midnight Mass - An isolated island community experiences miraculous events - and frightening omens - after the arrival of a charismatic, mysterious young priest.
  3. MindHunter - In the late 1970s, two FBI agents broaden the realm of criminal science by investigating the psychology behind murder and end up getting too close to real-life monsters.
  4. Dahmer - The story of a cannibalistic serial killer named Jeffrey Dahmer, a.k.a. the Milwaukee Monster.
  5. The Stranger - Based on Harlan Coben's novel of the same name. Follows the lives of suburban families whose secrets and lies are made public by the appearance of a stranger.
  6. Behind Her Eyes - It follows Louise, a single mum with a son and a part-time job in a psychiatrist's office. She begins an affair with her boss and strikes up an unlikely friendship with his wife.

Happy watching ! 🎃

Dominica 

Amazing Choices @DominicaE

The cast of Midnight Mass made the show great, especially Hamish Linklater as the priest. I will not ruin Behind Her Eyes for anyone but a great ending to that show.

Badge +48

@Deepak I liked Wednesday so much that I rewatched it with my whole family 😂.