👻 Spooky Season | Badge of the Month | October 2024 | XM Community
Skip to main content

During the first week of each month, we will post a new question, topic, or activity for you to connect with the community and earn a badge. All community members who join our team and contribute a thoughtful comment to this month’s discussion, between October 1 and October 31, will receive this badge worth 50 points by the end of the month. 

Task: Answer any of these questions:

1. Frightening Favorites: What spooky film, TV show, book, or podcast has terrified you the most? Why?

2. Spooky Season Traditions: What activities do you enjoy during spooky season? 

Comment on other posts to keep the conversation lively!

The scariest book I ever read was The Shining.  I’ve read other heavy hitters in Stephen King’s repertoire such as IT and Pet Sematary, and they didn’t come close.  It’s the only book that gave me anxiety and nightmares due to the feeling of dread that you know something bad is going to happen but you don’t know when or to which character..

I watched the movie recently when I was home sick and was disappointed.  For reference, when I read the book I had no knowledge of the story or movie other than it was about a haunted hotel.🎃

Silence of the Lambs with Jodie Foster.  The eyes on Anthony Hopkins in that movie was so creepy.  I really don’t enjoy scary movies and honestly I think that might have been the last one I watched all the way through.  I am a big baby, I know!

The scariest book I ever read was The Shining.  I’ve read other heavy hitters in Stephen King’s repertoire such as IT and Pet Sematary, and they didn’t come close.  It’s the only book that gave me anxiety and nightmares due to the feeling of dread that you know something bad is going to happen but you don’t know when or to which character..

I watched the movie recently when I was home sick and was disappointed.  For reference, when I read the book I had no knowledge of the story or movie other than it was about a haunted hotel.🎃

@pamelalbeck I have only read a few Stephen King books and while he is certainly a master, his books were too scary for me! 🙈 I remember enjoying Skeleton Crew especially, however ☠️

Silence of the Lambs with Jodie Foster.  The eyes on Anthony Hopkins in that movie was so creepy.  I really don’t enjoy scary movies and honestly I think that might have been the last one I watched all the way through.  I am a big baby, I know!

@Tonya_Fulton A true classic! Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins were incredible. I have a hard time with scary movies, too! 

@Michael_Cooksey ironically I bought Skeleton Crew for my flight to X4 in Utah.  I only got a few pages in before we landed so it’s definitely still on my reading list 😀

@Michael_Cooksey ironically I bought Skeleton Crew for my flight to X4 in Utah.  I only got a few pages in before we landed so it’s definitely still on my reading list 😀

How funny @pamelalbeck! Maybe October is a good month to work through the rest of it 🎃 Be sure to let me know what you think!

The radio ads for the Silence of the Lambs movie used to scare me silly… 

When I really want to scare myself, I watch the news.

Kidding aside, when I was younger, I used to be terrified (but to love it at the same time) by the lovecraftian universe. I don’t enjoy that kind of scary movies or literature much anymore though. Nowadays, I prefer the gentler sides of the spooky season: get disguised with the kids and laugh a lot.

I do not love to be scared!  My spooky tradition (and about as spooky as I get!) is watching Hocus Pocus!  I will forever love that movie.  Some friends and I want to take our daughters to Salem in October when they get a little older and visit all of the Hocus Pocus sites.

It’s not spooky, but we just had our local large pumpkin festival and that is my favorite day of the year.  It’s like a scene out of a Hallmark movie.  It’s a competition for growing large pumpkins, there is a pumpkin 5K race and kids races, a fall market, it’s just the most beautiful day! 🎃

I do not love to be scared!  My spooky tradition (and about as spooky as I get!) is watching Hocus Pocus!  I will forever love that movie.  Some friends and I want to take our daughters to Salem in October when they get a little older and visit all of the Hocus Pocus sites.

It’s not spooky, but we just had our local large pumpkin festival and that is my favorite day of the year.  It’s like a scene out of a Hallmark movie.  It’s a competition for growing large pumpkins, there is a pumpkin 5K race and kids races, a fall market, it’s just the most beautiful day! 🎃

@MeganZich I like your tradition of watching Hocus Pocus and the pumpkin festival sounds like a lot of fun! 

When I really want to scare myself, I watch the news.

@vgayraud -- very clever and sadly true 😭

The radio ads for the Silence of the Lambs movie used to scare me silly… 

@ccarroll That movie represented such a moment in time! It’s amazing how present it is in our minds still after so many years. Great movies really do stand the test of time. Let’s hope they don’t ruin it with a remake! 

Trick or treating with the kids! 🎃

Nowadays I love scary books and movies, but Stephen King’s Rose Red terrified me for years - it was one of those things I watched with my older siblings when I was way too young for horror. I finally found it on YouTube last year and laughed when I found out it was really just some made for TV miniseries that wasn’t scary at all 😄

Sadly no favorite spookies over here as I strongly dislike them all! When I was younger I had repeated nightmares with Ursula from The Little Mermaid, she was terrifying to me. One of our favorite things we do is hook up a skeleton to a water pump to the back of our truck. We write on the back of the truck window “Honk for a trick-or-treat” and so when we get a honk we make the skeleton pee for a few seconds. Our kids (and us) love watching the drivers get a good laugh out of it when it pees. 

@kgillis oh my gosh, this is the best!  My kids would absolutely love driving past you!!  

Not a fan of spooky😖

I think the name of the movie is The Fourth Kind. I was still young at that time and watched it with my elder siblings at the cinema around midnight. Then, the scene played out as if it was an actual documentary of alien abductions. I had nightmares, unable to go to sleep and was afraid to look at the time, especially after midnight until the sun rises.

Frightening Favorites: Ghostbusters, the terror dogs - might have been more the age at which i watched this film that has stuck in my head. But equally the franchise is one of my favourites!

Ugh, I hate scary movies. The last one I watched was by accident: The Sixth Sense. I went with a bunch of friends and did not know what it was about beforehand. I was ready to leave within the first 5 minutes but stuck it out and admit it is a good film, but I’m not watching it again.

I like October for pumpkins, fall leaf colours, cooler weather hikes, and the smell of the season changing (probably decaying leaves, but it’s nostalgic!).

I love the trick-or-treat tradition and costume parties. In my country, there’s a special type of ice cream that’s only sold in October, so it has become a tradition for me to wait until October starts to enjoy this ice cream, which is one of the best flavors. 👻

The spookiest book I’ve encountered has to be The Amityville Horror. The vivid details are so exact that it’s easy to picture everything in your mind, from the eerie house to the unsettling events that take place within it. The creeping sense of dread builds with each chapter, what as supposed to be a cozy home becomes a nightmarish prison. The chilling events—like disembodied voices and unsettling apparitions—are genuinely terrifying, and reading it alone in the dark only amplifies the fear.

I love the trick-or-treat tradition and costume parties. In my country, there’s a special type of ice cream that’s only sold in October, so it has become a tradition for me to wait until October starts to enjoy this ice cream, which is one of the best flavors. 👻

@Erikahuer, what is the ice cream called and what does it taste like?

@GreyGhost I picked up a vintage paperback copy of Amityville Horror at a thrift shop.  Haven’t read it yet but familiar with the story through TV. movies, and podcasts.  Sounds spooky!

@SlyNick Agree that one was scary and I already knew the ending because another student in my high school study hall ruined the surprise twist.

I have watched multiple horror tv series and movies. But I think and for me, “The Hunting - Of Hill House -” is still one of the creepiest web series. It’s storyline, direction and graphics were so good. I really had goosebumps after watching this. I think it's still must watch TV show.

https://www.netflix.com/in/title/80189221?s=a&trkid=13747225&trg=more&vlang=en&clip=81031033 

Leave a Reply