Counting incomplete surveys that reach certain Question | XM Community
Question

Counting incomplete surveys that reach certain Question

• 24 January 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

My survey has more than 50 questions.
If respondents begin my survey and reach, say, Question 10, but subsequently quit without finishing the survey, I want to count all those attempts. It's for my basic statistics only, I just want to know the total number of such attempts. It's similar to counting Web page visits.
In the actual fact, my Qualtrics form is used for students advising (not as survey per say). So I want to know how many students reach Question 10, but subsequently quit without submitting the form.
In 'Recent Responses' in 'Distribution Summary', are only completed and submitted surveys are counted? Why 'Completion Rate' is shown as "N/A" ? See the attached screenshot.
Likewise, in 'Data and Analysis', are only completed and submitted surveys are recorded and shown?
Recent_Responses.PNG

2 replies

Badge +3

Yes this would be incredibly valuable in both survey design and determining what to count as 'complete'. I would add to it a bit as well. The percent complete counts in Qualtrics are total garbage since they count every element in a survey, whether viewed by the recipient or not (e.g. masked by logic/viewable), and whether they are actual questions or instructions/text, which makes it near impossible to get any information about how far along the respondent actually was when they dropped out from the survey. It could be as simple as flag that indicates which elements to include in the completion counts, and making sure that logic trees are accounted for in determining percent complete. Combining that measure along with some indicator of last item completed would improve the existing capability and meet the need described above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I just add embedded variables at different points in the survey. Then when the responses close, I filter based on "is not empty" and am able to determine who completed how much.

Leave a Reply