Selecting a random subset of responses from a different question | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi, I am looking to take a random subset of responses given by a participant and pipe it into follow up questions. I am asking participant to come up with as many memories as possible in a 2 min span using a form field question with 60 response boxes. Then I would like to randomly select 8 of their responses to ask a set of questions about each. I am unsure how to pipe the responses to the questions randomly. Additionally, there is no guarantee that someone will respond with 60 memories, so I need a way to make sure the 8 responses are attached to a box they filled out. Do I need to use JavaScript or the randomizer? Thank you! 

Hi, I am looking to take a random subset of responses given by a participant and pipe it into follow up questions. I am asking participant to come up with as many memories as possible in a 2 min span using a form field question with 60 response boxes. Then I would like to randomly select 8 of their responses to ask a set of questions about each. I am unsure how to pipe the responses to the questions randomly. Additionally, there is no guarantee that someone will respond with 60 memories, so I need a way to make sure the 8 responses are attached to a box they filled out. Do I need to use JavaScript or the randomizer? Thank you! 

Hello, Jenny

While this can be done via JS as well, the ideal method would be the combination of Randomizer and Embedded data(s)

Hi Tushar, 
Thank you! Do you know how I would go about implementing randomizer and embedded data with this paradigm?

Hi Tushar, 
Thank you! Do you know how I would go about implementing randomizer and embedded data with this paradigm?

You will have to capture data from all 60 response boxes into embedded data(s). Make sure each embedded data element is populating only a single embedded data variable. Put all those elements below the randomizer with appropriate settings.

You can pipe the value from those Embedded data(s) into question texts.

Leave a Reply