• 12 June 2023
  • 2 replies
✏️ Hiding Questions | Getting Started Mondays | June 12th 2023
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
  • Former XM Community Team Member
  • 451 replies

What is Getting Started Mondays?

Every Monday we will highlight a Core XM feature, and the post will include a description of the chosen topic, a support page, and related community content. The goal of this weekly series is to help users find support pages or community posts that relate to the topic. Remember to always contact Qualtrics Support for product-related issues or urgent questions.

Getting Started Mondays | June 12th 2023

Topic: Hiding Questions

Once a survey has gone live and data has been collected, changes such as deleting questions, changing question types, and modifying response requirements will result in previously gathered data being deleted or altered.

When you need to remove a question and want to preserve your data, instead of deleting anything, the answer is to hide these questions so that they are no longer shown to your respondent but kept in your survey.

Using Display logic and creating a logic statement that can never be met, is one of the two main ways to hide your questions. If you are already randomizing your questions, it might be easier to use Advanced Randomization and exclude the questions you want to hide.

Stop losing your data and switch from deleting to hiding today!

Where to find this feature:

1. Go to your Survey Project.
  2. Click on the Question you wish to hide.
  3. Under the Question behavior section, click Display logic.

Support Page Links

Community Post Links

Question of the Day: How does your team prefer to hide questions? How often do you need to hide questions? 

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +16

Hello @JoseS!

I think this is great and I usually do this with questions. But I would like to bring to this topic the other part: the options. 

If I have a question where I would like to hide some options, would this approach make sense also? In both scenarios (display logic or custom randomization) it works perfectly but it has no visual of the logic behing unless I edit the logic. Is this also recommendable with options anyways? or is there another process to hide options?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello @Ricmarug! Yes, the process is the exact same for answer choices.

Qualtrics Support recommends to use the Exclude option in advanced randomization for hiding your options (since you should usually be randomizing choices regardless). The previously described display logic option also works.

They always recommend to have this support page open when editing your active survey, just so you can make sure the changes you are making won’t change your data. 

Hope this helps! 😊

Leave a Reply