Limit on unique links? | XM Community
Skip to main content
Is there a limit on the number of unique links I can generate? I am looking at a population of 1,300 respondents and would like to be able to segregate their responses by region - thinking of using unique links for this but is there a better way of doing this?
Any method of distribution should work fine so long as the region information is in the data somewhere, as a question or embedded. Are you hitting road blocks of some sort that we can help troubleshoot?
Thanks Kate. I just wanted to be sure that I can safely distribute 1,300 personal links (via mail merge?) with the region information embedded in the contact list. Just wondering if there is a way to create x different links to the same survey for x number of regions and distribute the same link to all people within region 1?
You have two options here, 1) Generate unique links for every person in your distribution that includes the embedded data in your upload, or 2) if region is the _only_ variable you care about, you can simply append that information as embedded data to an anonymous link.

It's really a question of, Do you want to see the person's name and email with their responses? Or is that too personal, and you'd rather not collect it?

If you want the names:

Add all the information you want to a spreadsheet, upload, create the personal links. Any information (name, email, and region) that is on the spreadsheet is stored in that contact's embedded data. Make sure you add that panelist data back into your survey flow to see it. But it's very easy.

If you don't want names:

The directions here will help you figure out how to just generate anonymous links that adds the regional information. EG: You can send one link to 10 contacts in Region 1, a second link to send to the 100 contacts in Region 2, etc.

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/passing-information-through-query-strings/#PassingInformationIntoASurvey

Either way. Generating that many links is not a problem.

I would be a bit weary of using mail merge, unless you do that sort of thing all the time. If a new IP starts sending that many emails out of nowhere, email providers might start flagging you as spam.
@Kate Thanks for your very useful comment. Off the top of your head, do you know if there is an upper limit to the number of custom links? If it's not a problem for 1,300 respondents, would it also work for 10,000? 100,000? Thanks very much!
@AdamK12 I assume it is limited by the conditions of your account. EG: I have Directory XM and am only allowed to have something like 100,000 panelists in there. I assume, therefore, my limit is 100,000- but it is a limitation of my account rights and contract rather than the technical features of the platform. But I would advise you reach out to the formal support team if this is a concern!
I see, @Kate - thank you!

Leave a Reply