Displaying a random number within question (and choice options) using JavaScript | XM Community
Question

Displaying a random number within question (and choice options) using JavaScript

• 6 November 2019
  • 4 replies

Hello everyone 🙂

I am trying to achieve the following and I am assuming that I will need some JavaScript for that, however, I am not (yet) familiar with that. So really any hint of help is very much appreciated!

Within the description text of a question I would like to display a random number between two values (newly drawn for every participant). Within a choice option of that question I would like to do the same thing but with different min and max values. Additionally, I also need to be able to record which numbers were drawn for each participant in each question. More specifically, for the question text I need the text to look something like this: "texttextext (randon number)€. texttextext"

I am assuming one can use some form of this code: var randomnumber = Math.floor(Math.random() * (500 + 1) + 50)
but than again my understanding of JavaScript is fairly limited.

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas!

Marco

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Marco,

Since you need to save the values, you can just pipe a random number into an embedded variable in the survey flow, then pipe the embedded variable into the question. No JS needed.
```
Q1_rand = ${rand://int/5:55}
```
Hi Tom,
thank you very much for your quick help - I totally didn't know about the embedded variable and piping functions. I do have a follow-up question though: is there any way to take an embedded variable as the upper limit of a random number range? Something like this:

${rand://int/ 5 : e://Field/VariableName}

I am assuming that the random number function needs two integers to work - can I make the embedded variable an integer somehow?

Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
No, you can't nest piped values.
Thanks for your answer. Do you see any other possibility to achieve the following:

I need to draw a random number X. Next I need to draw a second random number from a different range - more specifically the upper level will either be Y or if the first drawn number (X) is lower than Y - X needs to be the upper limit. So it is basically an if than statement (which is technically possible with the branch function) - however the upper limit under the condition X<Y needs to be X aka a randomly drawn number itself.

Leave a Reply