🍎 Back to School | Badge of the Month | September 2022 | XM Community

🍎 Back to School | Badge of the Month | September 2022

🍎  Back to School | Badge of the Month | September 2022

Show first post

104 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +38

Even though I've had many good - and even great - academic teachers, I can't say that any of them had a profound and lasting impact on my life. The person who thought me the most and inspired me to become a better man, even though I sometimes only understood his "lessons" only many years later, is my father.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

I love seeing all of this appreciation for teachers!
Both of my parents were public school teachers growing up and they worked tirelessly on behalf of their students. My dad taught special education and instilled in me that everyone deserves to be seen, respected and heard. My mom went back to complete her education to become a kindergarten teacher when I was in elementary school - instilling the importance of education from both a personal and professional standpoint.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

The teacher who changed my life was Mr. Smith in grade 6 in Canada (Quebec). I was 11 years old and they were already showing us the reality of World War II on television. We played board games like Memory 44. This teacher knew how to get the kids moving and get them out of the classroom to go play in the gym when our group was too excited. Also, we watched a lot of shows on TV such as "The Mysterious City of Gold". He made me realize that general knowledge is important and that young people need to be fully aware of the realities of life before they become teenagers.

memory_44.jpgmarket.jpg

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

I've had so many female teachers but it's funny to me the most influential ones for me have been the few male teachers I had. The first is Mr. Strasser, he was my teacher in high school. He taught Latin, which I took with him for four years and our sophomore year history class. He was a great storyteller and had the most engaging and fun classes. It's not like we were goofing off, but he made learning ancient history fun with the way he could paint a picture with words.
The other was Dr. Kruse. He was a computer science and some advanced math class professor at my college. He was very patient in helping you work through code. Treated you almost like a peer rather than his student. And every Friday was "Bad Joke Friday." It seemed fitting for his computer science classes to make us a less stereotypical nerdy/hard to relate to computer geeks. Plus it was fun to start of the day with a bunch of dad jokes.

Userlevel 6
Badge +27

Thinking back I had many amazing teachers during my academic life

From school I remember the math teacher from the last years. He taught me to be constant, that I was good at math and always tried to make the subject fun, no matter how difficult it was. In addition, he taught me many alternatives that helped to make the problems to be solved easier.

From the university I remember two geopolitics professors, they taught me to see the world from other perspectives that I had not considered before.

Thank you all very much for such a beautiful job.

Userlevel 4
Badge +17

I've had a few teachers, but I don't know if I have a favorite. For high school my Trig teacher embraced my love and knowledge of math and kept it light with his dry humor. I know this is weird, but I miss the problem solving of trig proofs.

Userlevel 3
Badge +14

I couldn't possibly choose just one! Professor John Ferguson and Dr. Shannon Peterson at Utah State are two world-class educators. Both of them know how to design curriculum that is both timeless and engaging, and I can't imagine where I would be in my life if they hadn't pushed me and taken a personal interest in my goals.
Teachers make the world go round, and we're all lucky to get to interact with so many great ones.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

I was so very lucky to have had a few in my time at school. To choose one it would have to be Mr Bellemy who was my economics teacher in Grade 10. To this day I get excited when the federal government hand down the budget due to the teachings from his class.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Happy Teachers' Day everyone! My favorite teacher is Mrs. K from high school who inspired me to think outside the box and empowered us all to lead with innovative ideas.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Mine is similar to the last poster - a great history teacher. He would often say "Don't tell me what happened, tell my why.".

His way was to not just understand that people did great or terrible things, but to understand how they go there, why they believed what they did was correct and then understand the events and their significance at a personal level.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

What a great question 💙
My favourite teacher was my Year 5 teacher at Junior School (age 9-10). He had a fantastic beard, a silver earring in one ear, tattoos, and rode a Harley. He often went "off-script" which, unfortunately, Ofsted didn't appreciate, but he was my favourite teacher ever! He introduced me to 'The Dark Crystal', lent me 'Lord of the Rings' to read, taught me how to embroider a dragon from a story I wrote...he was creative, interesting, fun, and he taught me to be myself. Now I am covered in tattoos, have a few piercings, and love reading a bit of magical fantasy literature 😀

Badge +3

My favorite teacher was one of my Sociology professors in college, Dr. Johnson. He best demonstrated the need to always question & think through the possibilities before responding because your interpretation is not always correct.
He also taught me you get what you put into things & sometimes a "C" is just what you need at that moment. He had the most unique grading system, he told you on day 1 what each assignment and class activity was worth in total points & how many points you needed for each grade. He made it a very accessible class. If you came to class every day without ever completing an assignment you would get at least a C, but you could still get an A with only completing assignments. This showed that people don't always need to be present, they can do/learn just as much or more without ever being seen. (a lesson in remote working before I knew I needed it. 🙂)

Badge +5

This sounds like fun, I liked math so my math teacher was my favorite for most of my school years. in addition to math he taught me how to program in BASIC which inspired me in choosing a career path in programming. Thank you for stroll down memory lane 😂

Badge +4

My favorite teacher, who instilled in me the passion for sociology, social research and survey design is Vasile Dincu. I'm thankful for his teachings.
Here are a few of his mentions:
https://www.instagram.com/vasile.dancu/
https://twitter.com/vasiledancu?lang=en
Vasile Dîncu - Wikipedia

Badge +2

Hands down, Mr. Blair-Broker. Not only was he a phenomenal teacher of all things psychology, but he also taught us how to create a proper outline (better than MS Word does!) and found a way to engage both the curious minds AND the kids who were initially not very interested. My fondness for him has nothing to do with his accepting me into the AP Psychology class (long before they were called AP classes and offered college credit!). He's a great teacher and an even better human!

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

My favorite teacher is Diana Lopez, she is a mechanical engineer, but during the years that I had the privilege of being her student, I learned mainly about the ability that women have to achieve everything we want, and that we must always seek equity in all things we do

Badge +8

There are so many amazing teachers in life - both past and present. It is an injustice to label one as a favorite. The top of mind presently is Dr. Bryan Edwards at Oklahoma State. I had Dr. Edwards for the first methods class of my PhD program. He emphasized the importance of using both solid logic and sound methods to draw actionable conclusions. Dr. Edwards also stressed I was a great writer - an identity I had never assigned to myself. His style and demeanor set the model I would aspire to if I ever enter academia.

Userlevel 4
Badge +18

All of my art teachers gave me important lessons. The ones in college were especially crucial to moving into the working world. We would have critiques on our work and those lessons were the best. This helped me take criticism and feedback as well as explaining my work and ideas. You learned how to have a tough skin. I think everyone should learn how to take feedback without getting defensive. It's a great skill to have in the world. You can learn so much from valuable feedback :)

Badge +2

My favorite teacher was Charles Burdsal at Wichita State University. I was mortified of statistics and told him I did not want to do research! Luckily he ignored me and just maintained such a relaxed and open way of presenting very complicated topics, that I found my confidence and my passion.

Userlevel 4
Badge +19

My colleagues have been the best teachers I've seen over the past years, showing commitment, and adapting their teaching style and speed to the personality and pace of each new colleague joining the team, making their/my onboarding a great and unique experience.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi,
My favourite teacher is by far my track-n-field coach, Ms. Massey. She was tough but always encouraged and supported us. It helped me to always strive for my best and keep improving.
Thank you to all the teachers out there encouraging us to learn new things and explore the world.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

My favourite teacher would have to be my 12th grade English teacher, and rugby coach, Mr. Jones! He helped to teach me what it means to be a leader both on and off the field, and encouraged me too go above and beyond in my school work, and created safe spaces for his students to be candid and themselves 😊

Badge +2

My favorite teacher was Mr. Gray. He captivated my middle school biology class with many fascinating experiments. He obviously enjoyed his chosen profession as could be seen by his impressive collection of various specimens in large glass jars that encircled the lab. I will never forget the hard hitting formaldehyde smell as I walked in the room and the sense of wonder about what I was going to learn each day.

Userlevel 5
Badge +36

This is such a difficult question because of all the amazing teachers I've had in the past. My high school physics and chemistry teacher is probably at the top of the list. He had a very unique way of teaching that made difficult concepts more fun to learn and easier to understand.

Badge +1

Have to recognize Dick Peters, Cornell College professor emeritus of education. Helped to make me the educator and life-long learner I am today. To this day, I am still quoting his "life lessons" and using the best-practices in education.

Leave a Reply