🍎 Back to School | Badge of the Month | September 2022 | XM Community

🍎 Back to School | Badge of the Month | September 2022

🍎  Back to School | Badge of the Month | September 2022

Show first post

104 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I’m kinda with MattiasM in that I can’t clearly recall any the names of the teachers I had. Moving around a lot meant I was in a different school every few years which did not help. One stands out not because I found him special or pushed me hard but because of his unusual (to me) last name; Mister Kabatznik. Here’s to you Mr. K!

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

I'm not sure I have just one favorite teacher. The one that comes to mind today is my high school AP Comparative Government teacher Mr. U-F. He made learning about governments fun and explored more than just what was in the books. I use the knowledge learned yet today and have continued to build upon it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +15

My favorite teacher was one of my first bosses. He always pushed me to try my best and would help if I ever ran into any issues as I was learning how to do everything. He was also great at putting everything into perspective as well. Whenever work was a lot he would remind me that there was more to life than just what we do at work!

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

My favorite teacher was my 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Stull. I don't have an awesome story about how she inspired me or turned my education around, however, she was just the perfect mix of high expectations and warm fuzzies. She was kind, warm, supportive, and more. One thing I do remember is her "curing" my hiccups one day by holding my index finger in front of me and telling me to stare at it. Before I knew it, no more hiccups. I have tried it on my kids and it doesn't work, so it must have been her very own magic - ha ha!

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

By far the most influential teacher was a high school history teacher - Mr Farquharson....not only did he use Blackadder as part of his teaching material, but he also really pushed us to question everything we read in history and check whether we thought there may be another perspective we should be considering.....fast forward many, many years and the ability to think critically about all problems in front of you has never been more impoertant!

Badge +3

My favourite teacher was my class supervisor in junior and senior year. She was also our biology teacher and took her job very seriously, providing us with everything, ready to provide as many explanations as needed. In exchange she was also quite demanding, as "I can give you the lessons, draw you the schemes, but I can't learn them for you".
As a supervisor, she was very attentive to our class, spotting difficult heartbreaks but also family situations, always there to reassure you when something was wrong. When I'ld sent her an email in the middle of the night, she'ld reply with a "GO TO BED ALREADY" :D
For our final exams, she brought us cookies and juices, cause "sugar makes the brain work better".
I still have contact with her and I know most of my classmates do to: more than a teacher, she was and is a mentor to us all

Badge +3

My favorite teacher was my 8th grade science teacher, Mr. Crane. Everyday I got to look forward to lessons taught with humor and tons of fun projects.

Userlevel 6
Badge +45

I have had so many favorite teachers over the years--it's impossible to choose just one! In grade school my favorite was Ms. Alexander (4th grade). She was so kind to me, and I was a shy child so I was thankful for that. In high school it was Ms. Shelton (history). She really challenged me and pushed me to improve my academic skills. She also wrote the recommendation letter that helped me get into my top choice university! In undergrad my favorite prof was Dr. Folmar since he took the time to personally encourage me to pursue anthropology as a major (which I did). In grad school it was Dr. Stanford, who mentored me and still keeps in touch to this day. She's written me more references than I can even remember! I wouldn't be who I am today without all of these teachers and the many others I had over the years.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49337#Comment_49337Managers can indeed be great teachers and mentors!

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49335#Comment_49335What are some of the back-to-school traditions in The Netherlands?

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Interesting question Michael_Cooksey ! Not uncommon for Dutch elementary and junior high schools are camp getaways of a few days to facilitate introductions for newcomers and strengthen social cohesion at the start of the year. The end of the school year musical for the 8th graders is a classic tradition with parents attending to signal the completion of elementary school.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49379#Comment_49379Interesting! I think the camp idea is a great one. We should definitely have something like that here in the US!

Userlevel 5
Badge +24

In fourth grade, Mrs. Peggy Baulk was our "homeroom" teacher in Littleton, Colorado. We were all sitting in class together watching a television that she had brought in so we could watch the live Challenger Space Shuttle takeoff. It was exciting to hear her talk about the first teacher, Ms. Christa McAuliffe, who would ever be in space! As the countdown was numbered off, we watched as the jet propulsion systems went off and the shuttle began to rise. We cheered! We watched in terror and confusion as a minute into the launch, the space shuttle began to light up and then explode and break apart. It was traumatizing. Mrs. Baulk cried. I had never seen a teacher cry before and her vulnerability changed the way I saw teachers. They were human! She turned off the television and allowed us all the grieve as she grieved. She then went around and did her best to comfort all the students who needed it and I will never forget her compassionate, caring response to a tragedy none of us have ever forgotten.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49418#Comment_49418What a moving story, Thomas! I'm so glad your teacher was equipped to handle the situation and also lead by showing her own vulnerability.

Badge +3

My favorite teacher is my mother Dr. Swaran Anil - who has taught me all I know from being a good human being, to being a great mentor (she is a teacher who has made thousands of fans through opening young minds using her factual and grounded teaching - to learning and adapting). She is a cancer survivor and is my inspiration (having broken conventional stereotypes by receiving her linguistic research PHD at 50+). She is an avid historian, writer, learning evangelist, passionate teacher, technologist, and world's best mother to me and my brother despite her multitude of challenges dealing with life and its many situations. Her curiosity, grit, determination, and zest for life have continued to inspire me throughout my professional journey and life's ups and downs. Now approaching a new decade (70), she is still ever active with her students through her volunteer work post retirement, and is on cue to release her latest series of books. She still advises me when I hit a difficult stakeholder in business or face a daunting project at work. Her fitting reward is her friendship with that my 13 year old daughter now looks up to her as a role model :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +51

My favorite teacher at middle school was my chemistry teacher!
He was really funny, always making jokes and explaining chemistry as something from the everyday.
I will always remember that the first class, the assignment was to create a story with all the periodic table elements! hahaha

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Helloooo
I would say that my favorite teacher was my math teacher at high school, he was very young so it was good to have some coversations with him. He was also really smart and everything that he taught me helped me in life and at university because I studied Engineer.

Userlevel 3
Badge +18

My favorite professor is Dr. Amy Alexander. Such an outstanding woman who not only cared about her students professionally but also personally. Built bonds that allowed a group of friends and myself to paint/landscape her new home and go on amusement park trips. Teacher and professors care so much more than what is on the surface level and Dr. A is a wonderful example of the many hats teachers wear!

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Really a good question! My favourite teacher was my maths teacher during my class 8 to 10. He pushes all the students of his class so much that all of his students logics and mathematics concepts are so much clear. I am going to ask him to help my daughter with same! :)

Badge +3

One of my favorite teachers of all time was Jared Greenleaf. He taught an introductory art class at my university. He taught me to see and create art in a way I'd never considered before. It seems obvious, but he taught me to really look at what I was trying to recreate. That lesson has been invaluable to me in my career.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49583#Comment_49583I had a similar experience! Once you learn to look at art in a new way, it's hard to go back to the old way!

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

All our teaches for grade 10 were awesome. But I would like to Thank my Computer Teacher Dahnajay as he was instrumental in starting the initial spark for computers which led me to completing my Graduation in computer engineering.

Userlevel 5
Badge +32

I thought for a long time about the question of who my favourite teacher was. I have come to the conclusion that I cannot possibly pin this down.

In the 13 years at school and the 5 years at university, there were countless teachers from whom I learned something for life. Some have awakened enthusiasm for certain subjects in me. Others have taught me how to learn and work best - when details matter and in which situations pragmatism will get you the furthest.

Other teachers were incredibly good examples of how important respect for other people and nature is.

And yes, there were also teachers I would have been very happy to do without at the time! But if I am completely honest now, a good 20 years later, it is precisely these bad experiences that have brought me the most forward in life.  

Badge +48

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49604#Comment_49604I completely agree - all experiences, both good and bad, are opportunities to grow and learn! 🧠

Badge +48

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49602#Comment_49602The community is thankful for your computer teacher too 😜💻

Leave a Reply