👻 Spooky Season | Badge of the Month | October 2024 | XM Community
Skip to main content

During the first week of each month, we will post a new question, topic, or activity for you to connect with the community and earn a badge. All community members who join our team and contribute a thoughtful comment to this month’s discussion, between October 1 and October 31, will receive this badge worth 50 points by the end of the month. 

Task: Answer any of these questions:

1. Frightening Favorites: What spooky film, TV show, book, or podcast has terrified you the most? Why?

2. Spooky Season Traditions: What activities do you enjoy during spooky season? 

Comment on other posts to keep the conversation lively!

The movie that terrified me the most is Paranormal Activity. After watching it with my brother, all the lights in our house went out, and the tube light cover fell off. We exchanged terrified looks and ran into the corridors to wait for our parents. That experience still haunts me! But damn, I love horror movies—they always manage to thrill me!

I have always been a fan of the 'Goosebumps' series by R.L. Stine, and even though it's a children's book, it still manages to send shivers down my spine, even in my mid-twenties.

One of my favorite pastimes when hanging out with friends and cousins at night is sharing spine-tingling stories of real-life paranormal experiences that have happened to them or that they've heard about, which always adds to the thrill and chill of the evening.

Not a movie but a haunted place in India -  Bhangarh fort "Entering the borders of Bhangarh before sunrise and after sunset is strictly prohibited." With a note at the bottom warning "Legal action would be taken against anybody who does not follow these instructions" This is the only "legally haunted" place recognized by the Government of India.

It is said that spirits roam inside the closed gates at these hours and the place becomes a hotbed for paranormal activities

https://www.holidify.com/pages/bhangarh-fort-haunted-1322.html

I honestly don't have a specific movie in mind. Back then as a child, it was the classics like Saw that were a bit scary. 🔪 Today, I don't watch that many horror movies anymore. I like to watch Medical Detectives to fall asleep. During the Halloween season, I'm already looking forward to the good pumpkin soup again! 🎃

Frightening Favorites: The scariest horror movie I've ever seen is Dead Silence. Ever since I watched it, I've developed a fear of ventriloquist dolls and everything related to them. People who have the talent to modify their voice to make it sound distant or imitate the voices of others or various sounds seem simply terrifying to me.

Spooky Season Traditions: I really enjoy dressing up. At the office, we usually have a costume party, and the best costume wins a prize. It’s a lot of fun!

Sadly no favorite spookies over here as I strongly dislike them all! When I was younger I had repeated nightmares with Ursula from The Little Mermaid, she was terrifying to me. One of our favorite things we do is hook up a skeleton to a water pump to the back of our truck. We write on the back of the truck window “Honk for a trick-or-treat” and so when we get a honk we make the skeleton pee for a few seconds. Our kids (and us) love watching the drivers get a good laugh out of it when it pees. 

This is fabulous! ☠️

Ugh, I hate scary movies. The last one I watched was by accident: The Sixth Sense. I went with a bunch of friends and did not know what it was about beforehand. I was ready to leave within the first 5 minutes but stuck it out and admit it is a good film, but I’m not watching it again.

I like October for pumpkins, fall leaf colours, cooler weather hikes, and the smell of the season changing (probably decaying leaves, but it’s nostalgic!).

I love that smell, too 🍁

I love the nostalgia of Charlie Brown this time of year, and especially the music featured in the shows 🍁🎶🎃

My favorite spooky books are from a novelist from where I live: Québec, Canada. He’s called Patrick Sénécal and some of his books have been made into films. My top 1 is definitely Aliss, which is a pretty uncommon and dark remake of Alice in Wonderlands. Definitly worth it !

at risk of betraying my age here still I remember lying awake at night after seeing ‘Jaws’ 🦈 Although horror is not my favourite genre there are some notable movies like ‘The Exorcist’ 👺 the ‘Blair Witch Project’ 😫 and ‘Carrie’ 😲

I feel like there is something to be said for old school horror. For me, Cat’s Eye was so creepy I had issues sleeping as a kid. As for spooky season traditions, I usually dress up and take my kids trick or treating, but my youngest is now “too old to do that” (and also he thinks hanging with his dad is now lame), so my wife and I have found ourselves going to friends’ houses for Halloween parties last year and will probably do the same this year. 

1. I'm going to pick the movie 'exhuma' on Netflix as my spooky movie of the year. I highly recommend it. It may not be available depending on the region or country you live in.

2. I eat red bean porridge to chase away the remaining bad energy. It's a K-food that's not popular yet, but one day it may continue like a K-food trend such as Korean fried chicken and tteokbokki following the K-drama craze.

For me, the scariest film has to be "The Conjuring." The eerie atmosphere and true story behind it made it unforgettable!

For me, the scariest movie has to be ‘Paranormal Activity’. However, aside from movies, the place that truly gave me chills was Dhanushkodi village in India. It was devastated by a tsunami in 1964 and the remains of broken houses, schools and churches were eerie. I think part of my fear came from the local ghost stories I had heard before visiting and the fact that I was traveling solo only heightened the experience. But honestly, the place itself has a genuinely haunting atmosphere.

I’ve read a bunch of King, but the scariest scene I’ve ever read comes from House of Leaves  by  Danielewski. If you want to give this book a shot, be prepared for an experience unlike any other book you’ve ever read. 

Despite that, for pure terror, and the number of nightmares it caused me, I can’t top a Goldenbook version of The Three Little Pigs my mom read me when I  was 3 or 4. The Big Bad Wolf gave me nightmares for years. 

Creating my kids costumes from scratch can be a little stressful but it’s certainly my favorite part of the month!

Orphan is one movie which I would like to recommend everyone to watch!

My family’s favorite horror movie is the Shining, we will use any excuse to watch it, the sequel Doctor Sleep and the Documentary Room 237.  We have a tradition of Summer-ween, first weekend in August we decorate, have a themed dinner and a mini party.  It is always a hit.

Despite that, for pure terror, and the number of nightmares it caused me, I can’t top a Goldenbook version of The Three Little Pigs my mom read me when I  was 3 or 4. The Big Bad Wolf gave me nightmares for years. 

Same! Just seeing this pic gives me chills! 🐺

My family’s favorite horror movie is the Shining, we will use any excuse to watch it, the sequel Doctor Sleep and the Documentary Room 237.  We have a tradition of Summer-ween, first weekend in August we decorate, have a themed dinner and a mini party.  It is always a hit.

That sounds like a great tradition! 

I’m not super into horror movies, so frankly this movie might not even be scary to most - Gretel and Hansel that came out in 2020. I honestly don't remember much of what happened because my eyes were closed for most of it! My favorite spooky season activity is definitely carving pumpkins and roasting the pumpkin seeds! 

Creating my kids costumes from scratch can be a little stressful but it’s certainly my favorite part of the month!

Home-made costumes are the best way to go! Definitely some effort involved but always worth it 💜

I’m not super into horror movies, so frankly this movie might not even be scary to most - Gretel and Hansel that came out in 2020. I honestly don't remember much of what happened because my eyes were closed for most of it! My favorite spooky season activity is definitely carving pumpkins and roasting the pumpkin seeds! 

Roasted pumpkin seeds are so good! 😊

I really do not enjoy been scared. But for this spooky season I really enjoy a marathon of Nightmare before christmas, Corpse Bride, BeetleJuice mostly all Tim Burton movies.

I think “Tumbbad” is the most chilling movies, known for its eerie atmosphere, dark mythology, and spine-tingling visuals. 

Leave a Reply