• 8 February 2023
  • 2 replies
📚️ Matrix Tables | Basecamp Wednesdays | February 8th 2023
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
  • Former XM Community Team Member
  • 451 replies

What is Basecamp Wednesdays?

Every Wednesday we will look at different topics discussed on XM Basecamp and provide a brief description of the Basecamp resource.
Whether you’re just getting started on your XM journey or ready to take your program to the next level, this weekly series is meant to help all users find Basecamp resources. 

Basecamp Wednesdays | February 8th 2023

Topic: Matrix Tables

Matrix tables are a popular question type used when multiple questions are being asked that should be rated on the same scale. A common misconception is that matrix questions shorten the length of surveys when in actuality they raise the cognitive load on respondents and don't shorten the survey since survey length is measured by the number of decisions made, not by the number of questions. While matrix question types can be useful at times, it is better practice to separate your questions individually and prioritize a better respondent experience.

Learn more about Matrix table misconceptions and encourage more thoughtful responses by watching this Basecamp lesson!

Where to find this course:

1. Go to XM Basecamp.
  2. Search for Applying Best Practices in Questionnaire Design.
  3. Click Register.
  4. Find the Overcoming Matrix Table Misconceptions section.

Basecamp Video Link: Overcoming Matrix Table Misconceptions

Support Page: Matrix Tables

Question of the Week: Do you prefer Matrix Table questions over other question types? How often do you use Matrix Tables in your surveys?

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +22

I did prefer Matrix tables until reviewing this information!  Thanks for some new perspectives!  I am one that fell into the misconception that the survey felt “shorter” by having a Matrix table.  But it makes so much sense that you have to base your survey builds off of the number of DECISIONS a respondent has to make, not the NUMBER of questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@MeganZich I’m glad that I am able to provide some new insight. I must admit that I definitely preferred Matrix tables before joining Qualtrics and learning more about best practices when creating surveys! 🤗

Leave a Reply