Running the Affect Misattribution Procedure (AMP) in Qualtrics | XM Community
Skip to main content
Hello,

I am trying to build the Affect Misattribution Procedure (AMP) in Qualtrics and would like to get some help on working out what appear to be some technical issues.

Briefly: the AMP utilizes the logic of projective tests and priming effects to measure people's automatic and unintentional attitudes by examining the unconscious influence of a prime stimulus (either visual or word) on an individual’s evaluation of a neutral target (Chinese pictographs). In essence, the procedure consists of the presentation of 4 stimuli for a set amount of time. In my case a prime word, a blank screen, a Chinese pictograph, and a black and white pattern mask will be presented for 100ms each, and participants are asked to rate the Chinese pictograph in terms of its visible pleasantness. The presentation of the set of 4 stimuli constitutes 1 trial. I have each stimulus uploaded as an image (PNG).

I figured out how to set up these trials in Qualtrics using JavaScript. However, when I test run the procedure, I run into a couple of problems.

1. It appears that in some trials, not all stimuli appear on the screen. For example, sometimes the first prime word does not appear. Other times, the Chinese pictograph does not appear. In other words, the images seem to "skip." There is no consistent pattern as to which primes appear or fail to appear.

2. It also appears that the presentation of each stimulus are not consistent across stimuli in the trials and across trials even though each stimulus is set to appear for 100ms each.

Needless to say, the inconsistency in the appearance of the stimuli and the exposure time variability are problematic for this procedure. I am not sure if the issues I am running into are solvable and/or if they are issues unrelated to Qualtrics itself. Since I am new to the use of JavaScript and have never used Qualtrics in a format other than for simple questionnaires, any help would be appreciated. I will post below the JavaScript I used to auto advance the images in 100ms as well as the link to the procedure itself for those who can take a look.

I appreciate your help.

JavaScript

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()

{

this.hideNextButton();

this.clickNextButton.delay(.1);

});

Link to Procedure: https://memphis.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cYYVeogfqnsn661
@yknamori,

There is too much variability in page loading. You should put all the stimuli on one page, then use JavaScript to show/hide the stimuli at the necessary intervals.

Leave a Reply