Recode Missing Data in Dashboard | XM Community
Solved

Recode Missing Data in Dashboard

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi there!
I had changements in my Questionnaire and have a new variable. I would like that all respondets I had before get assigned to a special value (all the same) so I do not have missings for the old data.
I tried the field editor in the survey (combine variabes....), but the problem is that these variables can not be worked on/recoded in the Dashboard nor can I reuse them for further ariables in the field editor. I need that too as I also need a widget there my 6 categories are grouped into 3 groups).
Does anyone have an idea?
Thank you so much!!!
Tine

icon

Best answer by InessaG 21 July 2022, 15:53

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You should be able to recode them in Data Mapper. You mentioned you cannot recode them in Dashboard, but not sure what approach you took.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi Inessa!
Thank you for your reply! I built my variable using "field editor" in the survey tab "data and analysis.
When I try to recode values in the data mapper of the dashboard that's not possible. Compared to the other variables I do not have the options "settings" next to my newly created variable "Event_inkl....".
So I'm afraid it is not possible 😞
image.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Perhaps then recode the actual question answers instead of using the variable?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I also need the original responses because they are more detailed; I just need an additional variable where all my "old" respondents get assigned to a value:
So Var1 had 3 options
a,b,c
and var b (the new var) has the options
d,e,f
people who had a,b,c should now be assigned to d in the new varb.
So if I could acutally just recode var b empty->d that shoud solve the problem too
But I did not find the option of recoding missing to a certain value.
If jou have an idea concerning just recode missings that would be great :-)

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You can map the original field twice - once with non-recoded values and once with recoded values.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

But I sitll have to combine it with the values of the other variable. Because all my new respondents do not have the old variable and vice versa.
And combining variables only works in the Survey Project using field editor. And in the field editor I can not access variables recoded in the dashboard.
So recoding works fine in the dashboard project and combining variables works in the survey project. I can use the combined variable in the dashboard but I can not recode combined variables. I'm afraid it will not work 😞.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Is there a reason you can't code multiple values in recoding in dashboard to the same value? So code 3 values (a,b,c) to value d, etc.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I can of course. But if I want to combine 2 Variables (concat...) I can not do this in the dasboard but I have to do it in the Survey (which works fine) via "create field"

image.pngbut these newly built variables can not be recoded (no "settings" options) in the dashboard.
image.pngAt lease in my case I can not do it
But maybe I miss something?

And again: Do you see the option of simply recoding missing values (which was my plan b)?

Thanks for your time :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

How about custom metrics? It's a little more time intensive, but you can set up custom metrics for each combination of fields and then do counts/sums for those.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I will try that! Thank you

Leave a Reply