Combining variables from Excel raw datafile | XM Community

Combining variables from Excel raw datafile

• 17 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi all,
I've recently received a raw data file in Excel from an agency and wanted to run my own analysis in Qualtrics. When I uploaded the file, I noticed that the file's columns are split by each answer option instead of containing all answers for that question in one column (and instead of an answer it just translates the binary 1s and 2s into Yes and No). It looks something like that:
QID1_1 QID1_2 QID1_3 etc
Yes No No
No Yes No
Yes Yes No
Hence, when I try to build some crossbreaks, I can't see the whole question, Does anyone know how I could re-format the datafile to have all answer options under one column? Or any other way I could achieve the crossbreaks I need?
Thanks in advance!

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

ctek1 if I understand correctly, all data was merged into Column A with the data separated by a space and you need to split it into individual columns. If I'm right, you can use this method in excel or use the "split" function in google sheets.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

jmborzick not exactly, basically my data is displayed by variable instead of by question. So, for example, I have a multicode question with 8 response options - I see in the excel 8 iterations of the same questions which forces Qualtrics to read it as a separate question, so when I'm trying to build the crossbreaks, I'm only able to build a table with one answer option (with options having a Yes or No coding - i.e. selected or non selected). What I would like to see is one column for each question instead of a column for each answer. Is there a way to fix it in Qualtrics or Excel? Thank you!

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

ctek1 I think I understand now. Could you tell me where the data is being exported from? Is it coming directly from the Data & Analysis tab or from within a dashboard?
If from the Data & Analysis tab, make sure that when exporting "Split multi-value fields into columns" is not selected. That being said, I'm unable to determine where a "Yes/No" response would come from if pulling from Data & Analysis. The closest I was able to replicate was a "1" for selected and a blank cell for unselected.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

jmborzick - thanks a lot for your help! Your suggestion actually solved my issue:)

Leave a Reply