Can Qualtrics use data from surveys for research purposes? | XM Community
Skip to main content

I'm having trouble finding the passage in the privacy and data security documentation where it says if and how Qualtrics can use the data I generate with my surveys. During an event, we've been told that Qualtrics can use results to certain question for 3 months. The XM Institute supposedly uses this data for research. Is this true? Where is this written?

Hi 

You can visit this page on Qualtrics

https://www.qualtrics.com/privacy-statement/

Please refer this link for data protection and privacy. 

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/getting-started/data-protection-privacy/

You can drop an email to privacy@qualtrics.com to discuss more about your doubts.

Thanks you @ArunDubey and @krbhavya. While helpful, it's not yet an answer to my question. The Qualtrics privacy & data security documentation is great, but I just can't find a clear answer to what extent exactly Qualtrics can use customer data for research. I've contacted pivacy@qualtrics.com with the question. 

What I did find, is a passsage in the GTC that states that Qualtrics or its affiliates may create analyses utilizing customer data and information derived from customer's use of the cloud service and professional services for various purposes, including research and analysis.

However, Qualtrics will anonymize and aggregate information included in these analyses. Additionally, personal data contained in customer data is only used to provide the cloud service and professional services to the customer and its authorized users.

This is part of the answer. I just need to know if the use of customer data includes the results from surveys, for how long, and whether there is a way to avoid this. I will report back here once I have the answer.

Qualtrics support is option to discuss this. Thanks for sharing details here.

I received an excellent explanation from Qualtrics Legal:

Any Analyses Qualtrics preforms shall not be used to identify any individual or Customer and Qualtrics does not use personal data in the Analyses.

The analysis process is as follows: customer data is run through a software filter to remove personally identifiable information and brand identifiable information; this de-identified data is then used only on an aggregate basis with other de-identified data. Uses include (1) statistical usage (e.g., surveys with 5 questions instead of 7 questions have a X% higher response rate), (2) common practices (e.g., autosuggest next question or multiple choice responses based on common practices across customers) and/or (3) algorithm/model training (e.g., via machine learning, training sentiment analysis model with larger, anonymized, aggregated data sets). Also, certain products of Qualtrics (e.g. benchmarks) require customers to contribute to the benchmark in order to use the benchmark.

Leave a Reply