Carry forward with graphics? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello community! I am building a survey in which I am trying to carry forward unselected answers from a previous question. This works fine, except that the answers have graphics, and what is carried forward is only the textual part.

Is carrying forward graphics not possible?

I attach the original question and what the carry forward looks like,

Thanks!

Paola

Hi @pmBristol ,

Can you try to add the image within the text using the rich content editor as opposed to selecting the option of “Insert Graphic”?

Hi @pmBristol!

You can definitely do carry forward with graphics! I’ve done this before in a survey to have respondents narrow down their preferred scenarios, in which each response option included a graphic. While you can select “Insert Graphic” from the associated response option drop-down menu, the formatting options are much clunkier AND they don’t quite work with carry forward logic. @Sowrabh1993’s suggestion of opening the Rich Content Editor for the response and adding an image there works with carry forward -- that’s how I made my survey and it works perfectly! Plus it’s far easier to format your response from the Rich Content Editor than to work through the image editing options available in the response drop-down menu.

Hope this helps solve your issue!

-Erin

Hi @pmBristol ,

Can you try to add the image within the text using the rich content editor as opposed to selecting the option of “Insert Graphic”?

thanks very much for your answer - however for some reason I am unable to edit anything to do with the answers! Once I use the “carry forward” logic, the answers appears themselves, but without graphics, and as you can see all I get by clicking is nothing at all, and by right clicking I get the usual operating system options (see screenshot).

However, very bizarrely if I run a preview of the survey, the graphics do appear!!! I have no idea what is going on, as I’d be surprised if this were expected behaviour, but the good news is that I can run the survey after all, see screenshot of the previewed question:

Thanks again for your help, hopefully it will be useful to others!

Hi @pmBristol!

You can definitely do carry forward with graphics! I’ve done this before in a survey to have respondents narrow down their preferred scenarios, in which each response option included a graphic. While you can select “Insert Graphic” from the associated response option drop-down menu, the formatting options are much clunkier AND they don’t quite work with carry forward logic. @Sowrabh1993’s suggestion of opening the Rich Content Editor for the response and adding an image there works with carry forward -- that’s how I made my survey and it works perfectly! Plus it’s far easier to format your response from the Rich Content Editor than to work through the image editing options available in the response drop-down menu.

Hope this helps solve your issue!

-Erin

thank you - as you can see from my answer to @Sowrabh1993 it does work after all, but not with his solution. Maybe the issue is just one of not displaying the pictures in the questions page, but they seem to show in the survey. Really bizarre, but at least it works.

I’d be curious to know which way you went about yours.

thanks,

Paola

Hi @pmBristol ,

You can try to add edit(add img by rich content editor) the original question from which it is being carried forward.

Hope this works.

Hi @pmBristol ,

You can try to add edit(add img by rich content editor) the original question from which it is being carried forward.

Hope this works.

Thanks so much @Sowrabh1993 , I did understand your suggestion / but as I hope my screenshot above shows, I do not have access to any editing functions of these questions at all! Still it seems to be working in some kind of automated fashion!

Thanks again,

paola

Hi @pmBristol ,

Hope this works.

Thanks so much @Sowrabh1993 , I did understand your suggestion / but as I hope my screenshot above shows, I do not have access to any editing functions of these questions at all! Still it seems to be working in some kind of automated fashion!

Thanks again,

paola

Hi, @pmBristol! You may need to remove the image before you see those other options mentioned above. You could also create a new question just to test this out, and instead of adding an image from the dropdown menu, just start with the rich content editor (which should be available in a fresh question/once the image is removed from the response option).

-Erin

Hi @pmBristol ,

Hope this works.

Thanks so much @Sowrabh1993 , I did understand your suggestion / but as I hope my screenshot above shows, I do not have access to any editing functions of these questions at all! Still it seems to be working in some kind of automated fashion!

Thanks again,

paola

Hi, @pmBristol! You may need to remove the image before you see those other options mentioned above. You could also create a new question just to test this out, and instead of adding an image from the dropdown menu, just start with the rich content editor (which should be available in a fresh question/once the image is removed from the response option).

-Erin

thanks Erin - only thing is, once I create the question with Carry Forward, I can do no editing of those answers at all!

Hi @pmBristol ,

Hope this works.

Thanks again,

paola

Hi, @pmBristol! You may need to remove the image before you see those other options mentioned above. You could also create a new question just to test this out, and instead of adding an image from the dropdown menu, just start with the rich content editor (which should be available in a fresh question/once the image is removed from the response option).

-Erin

thanks Erin - only thing is, once I create the question with Carry Forward, I can do no editing of those answers at all!

Right -- you should be able to edit the original question from which the answers are carried forward, but you can’t edit the images/response options on the carry forward questions themselves. So if you have edits to the images, you need to make them on the original question. Any edits you make on those response options will automatically update for any future questions that carry forward those response options. Hope that makes sense!

thanks @JonesE , I get you now. I think it is just that the user interface isn’t showing me the graphics, but they appear in the survey. I wonder whether the fact I am on Mac has anything to do with it…

Thanks to you and everybody else for bearing with me, the survey launches tomorrow, so wish me luck :-D

All the best,

paola

thanks @JonesE , I get you now. I think it is just that the user interface isn’t showing me the graphics, but they appear in the survey. I wonder whether the fact I am on Mac has anything to do with it…

Thanks to you and everybody else for bearing with me, the survey launches tomorrow, so wish me luck :-D

All the best,

paola

Good luck!! -Erin

Leave a Reply