How do you consolidate / deduplicate the Contact List of an ongoing survey? | XM Community
Skip to main content

I have an ongoing survey and have received a few responses. I'm using the ExternalDataReference field to create a unique access code for authentication and to identify each individual contact.
While adding a few additional contacts to the list, I accidentally re-uploaded my entire contact list for the survey, doubling the number of contacts and creating duplicates for each. As a result, none of my Authenticators work. I cannot automatically deduplicate my contact list as I do not have access to XM Directory (as suggested here ). Manual consolidation/deduplication will take a very long time.
Merging Duplicate Contacts in XM DirectoryI am tempted to delete the current contact list and import the contact list again to ensure that the Authenticators still work. The support information posted (in the link below) isn't very clear on how to do this and avoid deleting existing responses / merging existing responses.
Editing Contacts in a ListAny suggestions on how to deal with this issue soon, without having to apply for access to XM Directory would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!😀

You need to set the merge rule at the Directory level. This will automatically dedupe your list. You can indicate what field to use as the merge field. Typically it's email

I do not have access to the XM Directory. Within my university provided account, I can only access the classic Contact list. (See bottom of the link below, FAQs, for the difference between XM Directory, XM Lite, and Contacts)
Editing Contacts in a List

In your setup, you would have to reach out to your university's brand admin and ask them to remove the duplicate contacts from the Directory.
If you delete your current contact list, the members of that list will still exist in the directory; they would not be deleted since you don't have the full XMD access. As a result, deleting the list would not cause your survey to lose responses.

Leave a Reply