Same answers, different IP addresses | XM Community
Solved

Same answers, different IP addresses

• 24 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I’m relatively new to Qualtrics so I am sorry if there is an obvious answer to my wonder... 

I have had numerous partial responses, many of these have been stopped thanks to CAPTCHA as they must be bots. However, I have numerous responses which were all started at the same time and have exact same qualitative response for a certain questions. However, they all have different IP addresses. In addition, other responses completed earlier share the exact same qualitative responses for certain questions. 

Any thoughts about how/why this may be happening would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

icon

Best answer by Sachin Nandikol 24 April 2024, 17:02

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hello @Hannah321

It appears that you're facing an issue where multiple responses share identical qualitative answers but have different IP addresses. This could be attributed to a few factors:

1. Bots: Despite implementing CAPTCHA, advanced bots may still bypass security measures and use varied IP addresses to masquerade as distinct respondents.
2. Shared Responses: If your survey link was disseminated to a group (e.g., through forums or social media), multiple individuals might be submitting identical responses.

To mitigate potential fraudulent responses, Qualtrics provides a functionality called "RelevantID." This feature evaluates a respondent's browser details, operating system, and geographical location to flag suspicious or fraudulent submissions.

RelevantID operates within Qualtrics' Fraud Detection capabilities, enhancing fraud identification by analyzing respondent metadata. It assesses whether the same respondent is submitting multiple survey responses and generates a fraud score based on browser, OS, and location.

To activate RelevantID, follow these steps:

1. Access Survey Options.
2. Navigate to Security settings.
3. Enable RelevantID.
4. Specify the timeframe for RelevantID to reset and exclude duplicate responses from flagging.
5. Click on Publish to implement the changes.

Once activated, RelevantID will automatically scrutinize responses and flag potential duplicates. You can review the analysis outcomes in the Data & Analysis section of your survey.

If you remain uncertain about response validity, consider excluding these entries from your final analysis to uphold data integrity.

Let me know if this helps.

Badge +1

Hello Sachin,

Thank you for taking the time to help me with my question - I really appreciate your help. Following the steps you helpfully provided has been successful. Interestingly, some of the responses that have been noted as potential bots are ones that I would not have picked up on by myself (very interesting!).

I am wondering if you know whether RelevantID is possible for responses that are in progress? I’m having to manually go through and close most of the completed responses as participants are not clicking right through to the end. This in itself isn’t a problem, but what is challenging is that I think a lot of bots are present here. If it is possible to do the same (RelevantID) for those responses in progress that would be extremely helpful as I can then screen those that need to be deleted rather than closed and added to the data pool. Alternatively, I guess that I would close them all and then check the RelevantID as they’ll flag up that way.

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Thank you again! :) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hello @Hannah321,

I'm happy to hear that RelevantID is helping identify potential bot responses! Regarding your question, RelevantID is active when responses are collected, including those in progress. However, the details like Q_RelevantIDDuplicate, Q_RelevantIDDuplicateScore, Q_RelevantIDFraudScore and Q_RelevantIDLastStartDate are filled in only when a response is finalized, meaning when the survey is submitted or the ongoing response is ended. So, although RelevantID works behind the scenes during data collection, you can't see its details for responses in progress until they are finalized. To view RelevantID data, you'll need to close these ongoing responses, moving them to recorded ones. But remember, closing an ongoing response means the respondent can't finish it. If the response was empty, it will be deleted instead of saved.

Let me know if this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Hmm on my end, when I download the responses In Progress with RelevantID enabled, Q_RelevantIDDuplicate, Q_RelevantIDDuplicateScore, Q_RelevantIDFraudScore, and Q_RelevantIDLastStartDate all exist in the export with values included. You could use this export to determine which responses In Progress could be closed.

According to the support page, you can also use these values in Display Logic to screen out fraudulent responses.

Leave a Reply