Survey Exclusion after Likert total | XM Community
Solved

Survey Exclusion after Likert total

• 20 June 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello,

I am incorporating the GHQ-12 questionnaire into a survey using Likert scale. I am hoping to use the GHQ-12 as part of the inclusion/exclusion criteria, i.e., if participant scores higher than a certain score then they will directed to a “Thank you” message which ends the survey. I am trying to figure out how to do this because I know I can get the scores at the end of the survey, but I am trying to do this during the survey so that participants who do not meet health criteria are excluded for ethical reasons. Any help would be really appreciated as I am new to Qualtrics. 

Thank you in advance - I apologise if I have miscategorised this post. 

icon

Best answer by Ricmarug 20 June 2023, 20:27

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +16

Hello @hwinfield 

You should be able to do this if you have separated in blocks each individual part of the survey after which you want to review the score. Then, you could do something like this: 

After each block where the person could be taken out of the survey, you could recalculare the score and then have a branch that compares with your threshold (in my example is 50) and if the condition is met, just take the participant out the survey and customize the message with whatever you need.  

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @hwinfield ,

You may want to try scoring to calculate scores. 

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/scoring/

You can then add if condition in survey flow to decide their flow.

You can also do this using Embedded data and math operations. You can use math operation to calculate average across multiple questions (https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/editing-questions/piped-text/math-operations/)

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

JB

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks both, I will try both of your solutions and see which works best for my needs. Really appreciate the help!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Ricmarug Hi there, I’m going with the method you suggested and have followed your advice. I can see that my survey has all the correct logic, but when I am previewing and going through the questions myself to test it, I am not being excluded or shown the end of survey page as I would like (I’ve shown below).

I have made sure that the questions in the relevant block all have scores assigned to them, but I think I’m not doing something right with the Embedded Data - I am probably missing a process which I can’t figure out. If you have any ideas what I might be doing wrong, I’d be very grateful. 

Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge +16

Hello @hwinfield!

The only thing that’s left in your process is the calculation. Where I put the “get score” value on the Calculation field it was just a note because I don’t know how’s your score built. 

As @Jagdish mentioned, the best way to get that score is with math operation. https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/editing-questions/piped-text/math-operations/. Remember to check the recode values on each questions and to use the recode value in the piped text for the math operation. 

Tell us how it goes! ;) 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Ricmarug Hello! 

I realise I am replying more than a month later… I was trying to start my survey early knowing that I needed to complete it over August, which I am doing now. So I have returned to try and figure out the math operation for my embedded data. I am still very confused, even after using all of the tutorials I could find on here and YouTube. If you are able to help, it would be much appreciated. 

Essentially, I only have one questionnaire of nine questions which I need to use in order to exclude people from the rest of the survey (due to risk). The nine questions are on a likert scale, scored as 0, 1, 2, 3, 4. 

All I want to do is to have that score be calculated after they complete that question and then to branch them to End of Survey if their total is 20 or above. 

I believe I have the correct branching logic, but I do not understand how to write a math operation for this. I know that I use embedded data, and am wondering if this is the correct operation: 

Appearance Score = ${gr://SC_3n4SrVbnvtadPaS/Score} 

That is the syntax generated automatically when I go to “Score” in the Value field and choose the category for the Appearance Questionnaire. However, this is not doing what I expect and I still don’t receive the End of Survey message - the End of Survey branch is in the correct place. 

I believe it is the math which is incorrect and I am struggling to figure this out. 

If you had any thoughts, I would be very grateful! Of course, if anyone else has ideas, that is also welcome.

Thank you!

Badge

I am doing a class project and I needed to do something similar. Came across this thread and it definitely set me in the right direction. I tinkered with it a bit and figured it out.

First, you need to score your questions, you can do this in Survey options > Scoring. I am using a 9-point Likert scale so I set “very strongly agree” to 9 and “very strongly disagree” to 1 ect.

Then, set an embedded data field above the measure you are using. In my example, the name of the embedded data is “Religious fundamentalism” (you can use any name), and it will embed the religious fundamentalism scale. You don’t need to set a value for this:

Now, we need the score. To do this, you will add another embedded data field, but for the value we are going to obtain the score. “get score” does not work. Here is how I found the format:

It ends up being text in some funky format, but that’s what you need for it to properly branch.

The branch is set up with the embedded data and the logic is basically if one question’s score is too low it’ll kick them to the end of the study.

Hope this helps!

Leave a Reply