Tracking Responses Without Individual Links | XM Community
Question

Tracking Responses Without Individual Links

• 28 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hi all, I’ve run into an issue, and I contacted support, and I’m not sure that there’s a good work around here - but I figured I’d use this as a last effort! 

Previously, my team and I used a “trick” when we wanted to send a mailing first, then follow up with reminder emails to our participants. 

Before, here’s what we would do: 

1. Import the contact list 
  2. Create a new email distribution and set the date for several years in advance so that the emails did not actually send 
  3. Download this distribution to get the individual links, create short links, and send out a physical mailing. 
  4. Since the individual links were tracked through the distribution, we were then able to identify who still needed followed-up with. 

Unfortunately, this no longer works with some of the new platform updates. I have tried several alternative ideas: 

1. I originally thought I could send an email and replace the individual links with the personal links, but that does not work 
  2. I can send an email with an anonymous link and add authentication, but then I can’t track / follow up with participants easily. 

Does anyone have any other ideas I might try?? I want to avoid two versions of the link so participants don’t get confused or complete the survey twice, and I would ideally like to be able to send the reminder emails through Qualtrics. 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Unfortunately, this no longer works with some of the new platform updates. I have tried several alternative ideas: 

1. I originally thought I could send an email and replace the individual links with the personal links, but that does not work 

What happened exactly when you tried this? Can you provide more detail about the steps you followed? That would be the solution that I would try if this were my project. If you’re still sending the initial distribution by snail mail, the completed surveys would be tracked in the Personal Links, so you could filter them out when it comes time to send the email reminders.

Badge +2

So, the problem with that is that I would have to send the follow-up emails through another platform (i.e., manually send batches of reminders from Outlook). This seems to be the “best” option to avoid double links - the alternative, I think, would be to send follow-up emails from a contact list that removes the completes in Qualtrics, but that would produce a new link for the respondents, which would allow them to take the survey twice. 

Leave a Reply