🐘 World Wildlife Day | Badge of the Month | March 2024 | XM Community

🐘 World Wildlife Day | Badge of the Month | March 2024

🐘 World Wildlife Day | Badge of the Month | March 2024
Badge +48

World Wildlife Day

During the first week of each month, we will post a new question, topic, or activity for you to connect with the community and earn a badge. All community members who join our team and contribute a thoughtful comment to this month’s discussion, between March 4 and March 31, will receive this badge worth 50 points by the end of the month.

Task: In celebration of World Wildlife Day, tell us about your favorite animal or plant!

Every year on March 3rd, World Wildlife Day gives the world the opportunity to commemorate animals and plants that contribute to our planet’s ecosystems. The United Nations chose this holiday’s date because it’s the birthday of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora. In the spirit of World Wildlife Day, tell us about your favorite animals and plants!

54 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Interesting post this month, there are a couple of animals and plants that hold a soft spot in my heart:

• Cats
  • Sharks
  • Jellyfish
  • Cacti and succulents 
  • Carnivorous plants

I think it’s encouraging that sharks are getting more positive attention and conservation efforts, although there is still much work to be done.  I’ve tried to raise Venus Fly Traps on and off through the years without much success, but how awesome are these plants?

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Dogs and trees.

Dogs are man’s best friend, and for good reason. Loyal, loving, laboring, and life-saving.

Trees are awesome to climb, give shade, bring beauty, hold tree forts, provide fruit/nuts, and serve generations.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Today, seeing the huge amounts of snow melting away and the green grass reappearing, my favourite plant is the jolly daffodil - bring on spring!

Userlevel 5
Badge +21

My favorite tree is the Weeping Willow.  We have two of them on our property and I find them so calming and beautiful to be around.  My daughter was a baby when we first moved into our house, and I will never forget how peaceful it was to rock her and watch the tree sway in the wind.

Years ago I went scuba diving for a week in Honduras.  The fish, turtles, eels, all of the beautiful corals, even a shark! were so amazing to explore.

Userlevel 4
Badge +21

In line with this month's badge theme, wild animals, I would like to introduce water deers, which are especially famous animals in Korea.

It's called Go-la-ni, and it's also called Vampire deer because its long fangs stick out of its mouth.

It is a rare species all over the world, very common in Korea and even in the suburbs, it is a very common animal that can be seen on the road during the day.

Especially my sons' favorite animals, and I wish I could live with them on Earth all the time.

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

My favorite animal is the tiger because of its remarkable ability to focus. Once it locks onto its target, it remains undistracted by anything else. This level of determination and focus exemplifies the importance of having clear goals.

Badge +30

Elephants are my favourite animal because they are both grounded and overly sweet. No other animal comes close to resembling them with their snake-like long noses or trunks, big, floppy ears, and thick trunk-like legs

Userlevel 6
Badge +51

I love Butterflies!!! Their represent beauty, transformation and freedom for me 🦋

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

My favorite animal is the majestic wolf. Wolves symbolize loyalty, intelligence, and independence. Their pack mentality and harmonious social structure fascinate me, while their resilience in the face of adversity reflects admirable strength and adaptability.

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Tigers. No reason, but they’ve always been my favorite. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +23

For my favorite animal, I would say cats because I live in the country and they keep the mice, snakes and other little critters away.  Plus cats have some big personalities and can be very entertaining.   I enjoy having Lavender and Zinnia type flowers around my garden area to help pollinate the plants. 

Fun question - thanks. 

Tonya

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

Lion is my favorite animal, they are indeed majestic creatures! 

Overall, lions are iconic symbols of strength, courage, and family unity in the animal kingdom.

No wonder, this is one of my favorite movies :) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +45

My favorite domestic animal is the chicken (we have more of those than any other pet--at one time they numbered around 250)!  I love that they all have different personalities--especially my pet Butterscotch, who is very curious and gets into everything.   

My favorite wild animal is probably the elephant because they are majestic, incredible creatures.

My favorite flower is the Streptocarpus, which has gorgeous blooms in a huge variety of colors (and they also happen to be one of the plants I don’t always kill).  

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

My personal favourite animal is the giraffe, they fasinate me - the first time I saw a real one I literally thought it was a digital animation - they are just amazing. I would love to see one in the wild one day, rather than at a zoo, but Australian zoos are pretty awesome so I’ve been very lucky. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Cats, dogs, squirrels, chipmunks, foxes and otters because they look lovely.

Hamsters and hedgehogs because they are cute. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

My favourite plant is tuberose. I like it because of the unique fragrance it has. The pleasure of walking in the garden with gentle breeze having mild fragrance of tuberose is inexpressible in words!

Userlevel 6
Badge +38

Since I was a kid, I’ve always had a soft spot for budgies.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi everyone,

My favorite animal, often misunderstood by the public, is the shark. It is a highly intelligent animal that is capable of incredibly complex behavior. One of the ways they communicate with each other is through the use of body language.

It's important to know that sharks don't eat people - shark attacks are often the result of curiosity or confusion. Often the shark will investigate or mistake you for one of its prey if you splash in the water. 

The reason why surfers are most at risk of getting attacked is easily explained by looking at them from the shark's perspective. Indeed, if you look underneath a surfer who has his legs and arms on both sides of his board, he looks like a sea turtle - one of sharks' favorite prey.

In brief, it's an animal that's often misunderstood and deserves more love! 🦈💕

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

My favorite plant is dandelion, because of the parachute like seed that flies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

My favourite plant is tuberose. I like it because of the unique fragrance it has. The pleasure of walking in the garden with gentle breeze having mild fragrance of tuberose is inexpressible in words!

I love these, as well! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

My personal favourite animal is the giraffe, they fasinate me - the first time I saw a real one I literally thought it was a digital animation - they are just amazing. I would love to see one in the wild one day, rather than at a zoo, but Australian zoos are pretty awesome so I’ve been very lucky. 

@ccarroll -- there is a place in Kenya called Giraffe Manor; you may have already heard about it! Lovely villa on the grounds of a giraffe sanctuary 🦒

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I’m having such a good time reading everyone’s entries on this thread! It’s so reassuring and lovely to read about how much we all love and respect nature. 🌲

I have a deep interest in all sorts of wildlife, but, while my current favorite animal is indeed quite “wild,” he is luckily also domesticated -- my new puppy 🐶💜

Badge

Horses are one of my absolute favorite animals! It’s crazy to see what they’re capable of. The photo below 10000% is not me, but wouldn’t it be cool to have that level of skill!

Olympic-level eventing horse

Userlevel 3
Badge +15
It’s sea otters for me, especially baby ones! They melt my heart. ❤

Badge

Two of my favorites come to mind…

Animal...

The giraffe for favorite or most intriguing animal. The fact that they only need 5-30 minutes of sleep in a 24-hour period boggles my mind as a sleep-cherisher. To me, they just look like the most elegant and majestic animals around and I envy their lash line!  😄

Bougainvillea

These are my favorite plants although they don’t grow the same in Texas as I’ve seen in California and Florida. They are gorgeous, vibrant flowered plants and I’m particularly fond of the orange ones. You can find several around my property.

Leave a Reply