Importing historical data approaches | XM Community
Solved

Importing historical data approaches

• 25 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi community! 

I'm importing historical data coming from Forsta in Qualtrics, but I'm encountering issues and I'm wondering if there is a better solution. Do you have any tips?

I have a Qualtrics survey, with new data, as well as historical data for the same survey exported from Forsta. I need to get that old data in the new survey or connect it to its dashboard.

First approach:

1. I prepared a neat CSV, making sure the recoding matched that in Q
  2. Then I imported it in the Data & Analysis section of the relevant survey
  3. In the import configuration I mapped the variables one by one
  4. I kept getting errors, and after solving a few, for example by mapping it to a new Embedded Data field instead of internal metadata, I gave up

Second approach:

1. I prepared a neat CSV, making sure the recoding matched that in Q
  2. Then I loaded the data as a new Data Project
  3. I gave the variables the same Field Types as in my dashboard with new data
  4. Finally, I added the Data Project as a Data Source to the Dashboard Data
  5. Even though many of the field names and types match exactly those already in the dashboard, the auto-mapping often fails to find the right variables. Variables in groups are not mapped at all (and I have many of those)

icon

Best answer by Nanditha MM 25 July 2023, 11:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I think its the question type or field type issue itself.

I would recommend the second approach not messing with the live survey.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi @JohannesCE , 

Importing historical data into Qualtrics can be a bit tricky, but there are alternative methods that might work better for your situation. Here are  alternative approaches you can consider:

1.  Ensure that your CSV data is in the correct format, and the column headers match the variable names in Qualtrics. Double-check that the data types and values are compatible with the corresponding fields in your Qualtrics survey.

2.  It's important to thoroughly clean and validate your historical data before importing it into Qualtrics. This includes removing any special characters, ensuring date formats are consistent, and addressing missing or invalid values.

3. If you have a large dataset or frequent updates, consider using the Qualtrics APIs to automate the data import process. The  API allows you to programmatically import data into your surveys and can be a more efficient for handling historical data.

4. As you mentioned, using Embedded Data fields can sometimes be a better option for importing historical data, especially if the data doesn't fit neatly into Qualtrics' standard fields. You can create new Embedded Data fields in your survey and map the relevant columns from your CSV to these fields during the import.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I think the question tye is not set as “numberset” in the survey.

Could you confirm whether the question type is numberset

It is, it's because I recode likert-scale question to a 10-point scale in the survey. So that particular question (screenshot 2) is set to Nuber Set in the Dashboard Data as well as the Data Project.

Leave a Reply