No longer able to export all inputs from completed surveys | XM Community
Skip to main content

Apologies in advance, this is a very general question so I'm not sure how much troubleshooting can be done remotely, but appreciate any and all help!
I recently tried to export data from a qualtrics survey I've just become involved in, only to discover that the data being exported appears to be only from one question from what is a very large survey. I originally discovered this because, when trying to filter through completed surveys, I noticed that it wouldn't let me select various questions as fields to filter by, and instead only provided the question "NXGEN5C_19_TEXT - Topics" as an option (I've tried to attach a picture below as an example). When trying to export data, the only unique field it pulls in to excel (other than start date, end date, etc.) is "NXGEN5C_19_TEXT - Topics" (excel headers also shown below).
The strange thing is, when going back through old, completed surveys individually, they're all still completed... the buttons are clicked, dates entered, text fields written out, just as they were when originally completed. Complete data sets had been exported from this survey without difficulty as recently as 2 months ago, so I'm unsure what's changed, or why this one "NXGEN5C_19_TEXT - Topics" field is the last entry standing, it seems to be a completely unremarkable field that actually hasn't had any data entered in it despite this survey being taken hundreds of times.
This is a survey that has been edited (questions added/removed) periodically throughout its existence, and has undergone some edits in the past few months, so I'm wondering if that's somehow caused things to go haywire? The survey flows/works fine in its current state though. And even with questions being added/subtracted/edited, my understanding is this has previously been done to the survey in the past without export issues. Additionally, I'm just not sure why I can't export data that I know is there (again, I can see all entered responses if I individually click through each survey by "Retake Response"). It's maddening.
I'm still new to qualtrics, but my feeling is this is the type of question where the answer is going to be either very simple/obvious to someone who knows what they're doing, or it's just completely unanswerable because something, at some point during this survey, has gone terribly, horribly wrong. Here's hoping it's the former!
Appreciate any and all help! Pictures below, and thanks again!

Filtering Responses:
Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 7.18.31 PM.png
Excel export view:
Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 7.25.53 PM.png

Hi JoeDilly, if I'm understanding correctly, you're no longer able to view the other survey data fields in Data & Analysis or when exporting? If this is the case, I would recommend contacting Qualtrics Support so they can assist in troubleshooting the issue you're experiencing!

Hi JoeDilly,
Just to be sure, you do have the "Download all fields" box checked when you export your data, correct?
image.png

Confirmed. But for whatever reason, the "NXGEN5C_19_TEXT - Topics" field seems to be the only field it's pulling/recognizing...

OK. Sounds like an issue that should be reported to Qualtrics support.

Thanks for everyone's help! To close the loop: I contacted qualtrics support as suggested, and turns out the reason the data wasn't exporting was because the survey was too massive for qualtrics' normal export to handle. The workaround for this was using the "Legacy Exporter" option (link seen in the upper right hand corner of MatthewM's screenshot), which then allowed me to export the complete data set.
Though the true solution was to eventually redesign the survey into something more manageable that would not require Legacy Exporter at all... too much looping and merging on my first go through :)
Thanks again!

Leave a Reply